Tach Suddenly Stopped Working/ How do it test regulator?

tmljunkmail

Seaman
I have a 1999 Mercury 90hp ELPTO

Was running today and the tach suddently stopped working.

At the same time my Humminbird fishfinder lost power (not sure if anything else did...this was the only thing I noticed).....which leads me to believe that I either had a surge of some sort or the + lead on my battery got lose on a bump. Earlier in the day when I put the boat in the water I DID have to tighten down the + lead on the starting battery because after the first key turn engine kicked for a min or two then died and I had NO power. Once I tightened it back down everything worked fine the rest of the day until this happened.

I checked the Tach itself and all connections seem to be secure.

Read the engine service guide which told me to check the stator (which is the RED 16 amp by the way) and see if its got good resistance (between the two yellow wires) and it came back within spec.

Sooooo....I'm thinking it might be the regulator but I have no idea how to test this and don't feel like just buying a $150 part.

Does anyone know how I can test this? (picture attached).

Or if there are other things I can try?

(The service guide....which covers multiple enginges.....talks about a rectifier also. But I honestly don't think my engine has one. If it does....where the heck is it?)

Ideas?

How the heck do I test this unit?

Attachments

• IMG00077-20100416-0029.jpg
    IMG00077-20100416-0029.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Tach Suddenly Stopped Working/ How do it test regulator?

That is a rectifier/regulator... If you wish to test the tacho, temporarily connect the grey wire (from the tacho) to one of the yellow wires from the stator. If the tacho now works the tacho circuit in the regulator is crook. With all the wires hooked back up, check the regulator output (or battery voltage), it should be 14v +/- 0.5v. If it is, then all that's crook is the tacho circuit and you can run safely with the tacho being feed from the yellow stator wire. The 40 amp systems (on the V6s) have 2 regulators. Often when the tacho circuit in one of them dies we just move the tacho pickup to the other regulator...

Chris...

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Re: Tach Suddenly Stopped Working/ How do it test regulator?

Thank you for the help Chris

I put everything back together to check the voltage and now suddenly everything works again.

I HATE it when it does that.....now I will worry that its gonna happen again.

Thank you again for the input though.

Tim