Tach & Speedo ?

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice
First of all I know zip about boats, I just bought a 16 ft cutter with 1969 65hp 650 thunderbolt thought I would like to have a tach and speedo on it. Can you tell me how to go about this. Thanks for any info

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: Tach & Speedo ?

bucksaw, <br /><br />Don't have my book with me today, but will get you started. The speedo can be gotten from your local boat dealer and some NAPA parts places or can be ordered on line. It pretty staright forward as the only wires needed go to the light if you want. Its basicly a pressure gauge mounted in your dash with a plastic tube running back to the pickup which mounts on your transom. Instructions are pretty clear. I have a 67 650 merc and mine is different as I dont have the thunderbolt ignition syatem. I would also recommend a water pressure gauge (0-15psi) this will let you know your water pump impellar is working with out having to look back at the telltale. also simple as merc provided a port on the top left (looking from rear) of your motor. Again another pressure gauge system (Bass Pro $39.00) If you decide on all the instrumentaion you want then I would decide on Gauge size as not all boats have lots of room to mount them. Will bring in my manual tomorrow and add that info. Someone else may know tonight. Good Luck and Welcome to the board.

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: Tach & Speedo ?

bucksaw, <br />does your throttle control have a black cap on the forward bottom end. If it does this cap covers the tach hookups. There should be three (3)places to plugint under the cap 1 is 12 volt power (white). 1 is negative (black) and 1 is for the tack negative connection (brown). these are in side your control and unless you take it apart you wont see them, I used a ohm meter to trace them down. I got my tach from my local NAPA dealer (pro tach) 3" can be mounted in the supplied bracket or in dash.(about 34.00) On the tach the red wire hooked to 12 power, the black wire to ground and yellow to the negative side of the ciol (brown). you might be able to find the proper harness at you local merc dealer. Hope this helps.