tach install

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how many poles are there on my 1974 johnson 85hp? Thanks.<br /><br /> - Vegard

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: tach install

Are you connecting from the control? If so, there should be a disconnected grey wire in there that is the signal wire for the tach, the other wire runs to ground. Lighting wire is optional.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, so the tach doesnt work. It is set on the 6P position, the gray wire from the engine is connected to it, it gets power and has a good ground. What do I do? where is the gray wire connected at the engine?<br />Also, I read this in the faria manual:<br />"Older model outboards (prior to 1977) may have a tach signal wire originating at the ignition system although they are alternator equipped. All alternator tachometers may be used on these systems by disconnecting the tach wire at the engine and connecting that wire to the unrectified alternator signal at the rectifier."<br />does this apply to me? <br />Thanks for the help.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The gray wire connected to "Send" on the back of the tach should connect to the yellow rectifier wire on the terminal strip on the engine.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think the V4s gray tach wires were all wired to number 7 on the terminal blocks from 73-76. <br /><br />Number seven is connected to the gray and yellow wire from the stator by being connected on the terminal block with number six.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is your system charging OK? Rectifier must be good for tach to work...

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmm thats a good question, rick. how do I test that? I guess its time to pull out the manual...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You should have around 12 volts at the battery while the motor is not running. It should show an increase when running, Something like 13.5-14 Volts if it is charging.. Use a voltmeter at the battery to verify this. Simple way to check it..

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that makes sense. I have a volt gauege, and it does not show an increase when the engine is running. <br /><br />Before I pull the flywheel off, Maybe you guys can confirm the wiring, because Ive had the engine apart and may not have put it back together right. Ill post some pics of the boat and engine tonight, both have fresh paint. On a good note, the engine runs perfect, and starts with just a touch of the key, even when cold.<br />Thanks.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it, the rectifier was wired wrong.... Thanks for the help.