tach dies @ 5000+ rpms

jjboor

Seaman
Hi, here I'm again... <br /><br />Last week I installed a teleflex tachometer. I was told here to set the switch @ 6P the last setting on my tach. I was running a 21 pitch prop and the max rpms my tach reached was just under 5000. <br />So I did the math and went for a 17P instead. I hit the water again 2day to see if I was right. warmed the engine up and took of... beautifull hole shot and up to WOT, then my tach stopped working as soon as I came over 5000 rpms. The needle drops back to zero and as soon as I ease of the trottle and go under 5000 the tach starts working again.<br /><br />Can anyone please tell me what to do next? what is wrong? The setting on my tach, the altenator poles :confused: , where do I start trouble shooting? Any help would be great as I'm afraid that this prop is over reving my engine.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: tach dies @ 5000+ rpms

It would help if we knew what motor you have. Chances are it's a regulator/rectifier problem, there are a couple of diferent charging systems so it would be good to know which one...just a thought :)

jjboor

Seaman
Re: tach dies @ 5000+ rpms

DOH! yeah sorry I was to fixed on my problem so forgot my specs.<br /><br />The engine is a '88 120HP V4 Evinrude BE 120TLCCA hooked up to the tach by an OMC 3 pole plug/cable coming from the remote.