tach and charging problem update

70johnson

Cadet
My rectifier tested bad at the shop. The guy had a used one for $20 so I bought it. I bid on one online so I will have a spare. So I put it on and have tested while running the motor. 12.85v at 1200 RPM at the the rectifier and 12.65v at the battery, 12v at the fish finder on the dash. Tach still didn't work so I ran a jumper from the tach to the terminal on the rect. Still nothing. I switched to the other terminal and it worked. So I moved the gray wire over and have a tach now. Why is this? Only half the rectifier working? Maiden voyage Saturday with the Merc. on the boat. Can't wait! :D

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: tach and charging problem update

Sounds to me like the used one you bought was 1/2 dead ( a bad diode). I'd return it.<br /><br />-W

Clams Canino

Commander

PS:<br /><br />I have a good feeling that he one you bid on online has all 4 diodes good. :D <br /><br />-W

70johnson

Cadet

"I have a good feeling that the one you bid on online has all 4 diodes good." <br /><br /> :D <br /><br />I took the boat out this morning. Besides my starting battery going bad, forgetting to hook up my ground for dash switches and fishfinder, and a safety inspecion by the CG Auxillary, it was fun. I don't think my tach is reading correctly. Seems very low at wide open. I will have to compare with a master tach. Maybe because of the rectifier isn't working well. It hauls butt though. Glad I had a trolling motor battery with me. :p