Tabs for 2004 Chaparral Sunestra 236 Deck Boat?

Geardaddy

Cadet
Hey Fellas..

Appreciate you responses regarding our decision with the Chap vs. Sea Ray Sundeck.. We found a nice deal on a good condition chaparral 236 Sunestra, which I think will wind up being the boat for us.. When we first looked at the boat, I asked the Chaparral dealer why the boat didn't have tabs like the Sea Ray's did.. Her response "cause our boats don't need them".. Like a typical newbie, I though.. "oh, well that's good".. Anyway, I did some reading on other posts here regarding the tabs.. (smart/electric/hydraulic) and after driving the boat today, I think that that the tabs may help.. The boat has a 270HP volvo 5.0L GXi with the single prop (not sure about the technical speak for that part) The boat drives nice, but I"m wondering if the tabs would help the boat plane a bit earlier, or stay on the plane with less than 3000 RPM's.. I was suprised how much fuel the boat used in a 40 minute test drive (we ran it fairly hard I guess)..

Bottom line: Anyone have suggestions regarding tabs and these type boats? Would they help? Is there a type of tab that would work better than another? Sounds like if the tabs will help reduce fuel consumption, it would be crazy not to put them on.. I looked at the Nautics website, and it looked like most of their tabs are designed for fishing boats?

Anyway, thanks for whatever input you can provide to a couple of now nothings!!

GD

Here she is!

Attachments

• CRW_50541 copy.jpg
    CRW_50541 copy.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0

nlain

Commander
Re: Tabs for 2004 Chaparral Sunestra 236 Deck Boat?

Simple answer, yes. I think Smart Tabs would help, if you go hydraulic I would say Benetts just from what I have read about the support you get. Nauticus is also good support on Smart Tabs.

rndn

Commander

Yes they would help and a nice choice on the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are designed for any hull, there just are more types of fishing hulls. you can go wrong.

QC

Supreme Mariner

"cause our boats don't need them"..
They all say that and it shows their ignorance. Any and every v-hull can be helped with tabs . . . Do it, don't look back. You'll plane closer to 2500 and maybe as low as 2200. I can hold my 23 footer on plane at 12 MPH . . . ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Any and every v-hull can be helped with tabs

Ayuh,....

I've never Regretted putting Tabs on any of the hulls I've been involved with.....
Smart Tabs are the Cheapest route to go,+ they're a Great set of Tabs.....
Set'em,+ Forget'em.....

Geardaddy

Cadet

thanks for all the input.. I looked at the smart tabs, electric and hydraulic.. Looks like the smart tabs were cheapest at about 200, to the Bennett Hydraulic get up for about 500.. Is the flexibility of having on the fly adjustable tabs (electric or hyd) worth the extra couple hundred bucks? What are the pros/cons of hydraulic and electric? Thanks!

GD

RickyHenry

Cadet

Hey Fellas..

Appreciate you responses regarding our decision with the Chap vs. Sea Ray Sundeck..

So... let me get this straight. You will believe a chapparal sales person who tells you their boat doesn't need trim tabs, yet you won't believe the manufacturer, Chapparal, who changed their ENTIRE company to the same type of hulls that Sea Ray is using for model year 2008?

Are you insane? Youa re buying a mistake. Chapparal knows their modified tri-hulls are a mistake... Just LOOK AT THEIR 2008 MODEL LINE UP. You are buying a boat that just doesn't work how it should. Bad choice. Go with the new sunesta if you want a boat you are going to keep for a while. If you don't go with that, then buy anything OTHER THAN a modified tri-hull from Chapparal.

Geardaddy

Cadet

Rick,

No not insane. Just in the firehose stage of information intake.. If we had the $$ to spend on a new Sunestra or Sea Ray for that matter I wouldn't be looking at a 3 year old boat..
We are looking for something to carry 4-6 adults and a few kids around in a tube, with occasional skiing and wakeboarding.. The boat that we are looking at is in very good condition, low hours, and has 3 more years left on the engine warranty.. Also the boat is 10K less than any of the comparable Sea Ray's that we looked at with no warranty..

Do you care to elaborate on why this hull design is not going to work for our purpose? Thanks..