T&T pump motor question

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I recently removed my trim/tilt unit from my 1990 90hp Rude. The plan is to replace the pump motor and repaint everything. The plastic housing on the motor was cracked and came off in pieces. The hole in the center of the pump is keyed and accepts the drive coupler but does anything go in the similar hole next to it? (The one at 5:00 from the center hole in my picture.) In all the mess I had on my hands I'm not sure if something landed in the trash when I poured out the fluid. The schematic shows a ball coupling P/N 322175 but I can't find it, don't know what it looks like and don't see where it would belong.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCF2221-X.jpg
    DSCF2221-X.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: T&T pump motor question

Sorry for the bump. No input from anyone yet.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just looked at the parts break down on Shop.Evinrude.com and I think the ball you're talking about is the little rubber ball that goes in the coupler and acts as a shock absorber. I don't think anything goes in the other hole according to my service manual. Check out the parts diagrams though. One more thing, before putting the mtr on fill the cavitie where it goes with oil and rotate the oil pump with a screw driver to prime it. The pump is where the coupler connects to the the mtr.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Boobie. Still now how the ball could be retained unless it gets dropped in the pump hole before the coupler gets put in.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There should be a little hole in the end of the coupler that fits into the pump. The little ball goes in that hole and then acts as a shock absorber. If it's not there the tang on the end of the coupler could be broken when energized. Forgot to mention, the little ball is made out of rubber.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No hole or dimple in the drive coupler or anywhere else. I'm not sure why they would design a rubber part to go inside the pump housing anyway. When it degrades it could cause problems. Make sence that there would be some way to absorb the shock load at start up. The tangs on both ends of the coupler fit loosly, my guess is the oil absorbs the shock when torque is applied by the motor. No?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I was looking in my 1998 service manual and it shows that little ball in the pic of the coupler. But things can change in 8 yrs. I'd put it together with the 5:00 hole open and see what happens. Don't forget the screen.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A little info. I just checked my 1989 service manual and that also shows the little rubber ball on the end of the coupler that goes into the pump. That ball could be oil resistant the same way fuel lines are built.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks again Boobie....I just spoke with a local OMC mechanic. He says the ball is under the screen which I haven't taken off and may not see it if I did. Sounds like the best thing to do now is throw it together and bench test.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Update - Never found the coupler ball but all is working well.