T/T - Motor Questions.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently noticed that my tilt/trim motor is badly corroded. All the paint is gone from the body of the motor and instead of black it is a solid rust brown color with bits of rust flaking off. From the description and diagrams in my manual I can't tell if the motor and the pump are a single unit or if I can remove the motor section without opening up the hydraulics. In any event I'd like to stop the corrosion before it eats through the motor housing and ruins the motor. I'm not sure if I should remove the unit or try to treat it in place. <br /><br />Advice?<br /><br />1985 - Mercury 115hp.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: T/T - Motor Questions.

There should be 2 bolts running down through the tilt motor that attach it to the pump/base.<br /><br />TMD

Gilbert A.

Cadet
Re: T/T - Motor Questions.

Sounds to me like you have an Arco replacement motor (which took the place of the original). I say this because I had a similar situation after a repair shop slipped me one which--not knowing better--I took for the original, which, incidentally Mercury will only sell you with the whole pump assembly, to my knowledge. <br /><br />To get to the point, mine also showed a lot of external corrosion after some months. So, when I hauled out recently, I had the mechanic scrape and repaint. To my knowledge, he didn't need to disassemble anything to do this job.<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />Gil