System Check Tachometer Question

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought a pontoon with a 1997 60HP Johnson, has VRO and System Check gauge, the boat does not have a tachometer. I would like to install a tachometer. The controls dont have the 3 wire plug under the key that I am used to. The system check gauge the boat currently has is the 2" gauge with the four warning lights, no tachometer. This gauge has the 8 pin connector on the back. My question is if I purchase a system check tachometer that has what looks like the same 8 pin connector as my current gauge, will I be able to plug in the tach and have it work without any other wiring or modifications??

daselbee

Commander
Re: System Check Tachometer Question

Yes, the Systems Check tach has the same 8 pin connector. Look carefully at the wires in that 8 wire bundle, and you will see the familiar purple, black and grey are all present. Grey is your tach wire.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: System Check Tachometer Question

Just so you now, the dashboard harness for my '98 Johnny also has the three wires (Purple, Black, Grey) on ring terminals for a conventional Tach. Since the System Check Tach is about the same $$ as a regular one, I recomend it.