System Check Installation

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman
My '92 Sunbird has a '96 Johnson 90hp with the VRO still installed. I'm wondering if I should install a System Check 'gauge' setup to monitor the oil injection and temp of the motor. I see what looks to be a horn under the console. How would I know if I have a System Check wiring harness? Any ideas, suggestions, or input would be appreciated.

David

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: System Check Installation

David, The System Check harness is about an 8 pin dual inline connector. If you find the connector, installing the gauge is easy, just plug it in.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

I looked in the console tonight for the connectors. What a mess! There are two black 8-pin connectors. One has 8 wires, and one has4 (2 on one side and 2 on the other). Does that sound like what I'm looking for? If so, which of the harnesses connects to this gauge? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

System Check is 8 pin connector. It should have wires colored Grey, Purple, Black, Tan/blue, tan/orange, tan/black, tan/yellow and tan. The warning horn has a two pin connector, purple and tan/blue.

Three pin connector is trim switch, six pin connector is for ign switch. I do not see any 4 pin connectors

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I dug deeper today and found that I don't have the system check harness. Is it worth hunting one down; I notice they're pretty pricey. This may turn into a wintertime / off-season project.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What is the complete model number of your motor?

It may not be a 1996 or someone may have jury-rigged the wiring so your warning system may not be operational. Or they may have only installed part of the wiring adapter kit.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

What is the complete model number of your motor?

It may not be a 1996 or someone may have jury-rigged the wiring so your warning system may not be operational. Or they may have only installed part of the wiring adapter kit.

The model number is J90TLEDA. Thanks