Synthetic Engine Oil

DanN

Recruit
I was thinking of changing to synthetic engine oil for my 5.7L when I change it this next time. Is this a good or bad thing, and if it is a good thing, is it worth the added cost? And also what would be the best weight to use.<br /><br />Thanks

Hitman65

Seaman
Re: Synthetic Engine Oil

Dan,<br />I believe that synthetic is the only way to go if you really want to protect the enviorment as well as protect your engine. I am a Jet aircraft mechanic and have been for some 18 years. And guess what all jet engines use as oil??? You got it; Synthetics. When I started on jets my Dad a mechanic for more than 40 years now said synthetics where a waste of money and provided no added benefit. Well I am here to tell you today if it wasnt for synthetics half of the airliners in the sky could not fly due to oil break down at temp. I believe in the 5.7 you should run a 10W-30 or a 20W-50 either will do you ok in your operating temps.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Synthetic is the way to go but there are good and bad brands, just as in mineral based oils. I would talk to one of the performance engine companys like Flagship and get their opinion. Talk to Jack at 800-282-2840. Let us know.<br /><br />Good luck!

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would forget it and just stick with valvoline. Wish I would have not put redline in my BMW!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

See what I mean?<br /><br />Good luck!