Sx outdrive water pump

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi so I have a 1996 wellcraft that I bought and I've been going through it and can anyone tell me if there is a water pump in my outdrive. I have a cobra sx outdrive on a volvo penta 5.0fl motor. The only water pump that I've found is on the motor and they call that a raw water pump.im asking because I started the motor the other day with the muffs on the outdrive and water was making its way to the motor like it should but nothing was exiting out the back.it ran for 2 minutes before I shut it off because I didn't want to ruin the motor. So is there a water pump in my outdrive?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volvos do not have a leg mounted waterpump. they use the raw water pump mounted to the front of the motor.

when on the hose, make sure you have the water turned all the way up.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the water turned all the way on and I always turn the water on first before I start the motor. The hose coming off the pump going to the thermostat housing had a trickle of water coming out of it.is it possible that I need a new impeller. The manifolds filled with water when I pulled the hoses off and the block filled with water when I had pulled the drain plug like you would do to winterize the motor.everything had water in it like it should but after 2 minutes of running I shut it off because no water was exiting the boat.is it possible a weak water pump or a clog in the outdrive?thank u

Scott Danforth

Staff member
pull the impeller and look. VP recommends inspecting every year and a replacement every 3 years.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi so I checked the raw water pump like u had said everything checked out good there.i inspected the impeller and there are no cracks or dry rot on it.i reassembled and put back on the motor. Another question I had was could my thermostat be failing and if so how do I get it out the housing that it is in or do I have to buy the thermostat and housing as one.another question is this was the first start up since last fall when it was winterized. So does it take time for everything to fill up and if so how long.and what is a normal running temperature the risers should be at so I can check to see if I'm getting to hot so I don't ruin the motor. I am going to get a digital infrared temperature gay is ed temperature gauge to check.

Attachments

• 20220420_052642.jpg
    20220420_052642.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220420_052645.jpg
    20220420_052645.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220420_052703.jpg
    20220420_052703.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the thermostat is held in place by a sleeve. with the amount of rust you have there, you may want to look for a new one.

I would get some oxalic acid (available on amazon) and soak the thermostat housing in it for about a week to dissolve the rust.

I would also suggest you pull your exhaust elbows and manifolds and inspect them. if the T-stat housing is that bad, your exhaust bits are going to be worse.

my guess is that this is a salt water boat.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So the boat is a 1996 wellcraft excel 21sl boat it's been in my family since it was bought new it's never seen salt water. It's been keep at a marina in Northampton mass for the last 20 years every summer at a slip.i got the boat passed down to me.its in great shape for its age.i was on the boat last summer and there were no issues. Since it got winterized to the spring is when this started happening.
I'll buy a new housing and thermostat. My question is at what temperature should the risers be at normal operating temperature so I can check before I put it in the water. I'm gunna load test it on the trailer and get it up to operating temperature but need to no what temperature it is.the motor is a volvo penta 5.0fl motor v8.the reason why I'm doing the work is I know my way around most motors and I'm trying to save some money in labor cost by doing it myself. Also need to know what temperature thermostat to get please.thank you.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thermostat should be 140F
your elbow temp with an IR gun should be about 150-170

if you have that much rust in the t-stat housing, you need to pull the manifolds and elbows to inspect.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It should have a 160 stat in it. That style is held in place by a rubber ring that you have to pry out with a very thin screwdriver or a pick. You can probably clean up that housing. The manifolds and elbows should run about 90-100* at idle and about 130-140 after running on plane. Make sure your water muffs fit tight and are not too stiff to confirm to the lower unit. For the engine mounted pump to prime you need good muffs. That amount of rust may be due to not filling with AF to winterize, if it was always in fresh water. I agree with Scott you want to inspect your exhaust the water passages may be clogged & you might have to just replace the elbows or both the elbows & manifolds. In salt water we change them every 5-7 years.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I plan on pulling the manifolds this weekend to change the spark plugs as I've watched a few videos on how to change the spark plugs and I rather pull the manifolds instead inspect them and change the plugs. I work for a hose,gasket and hydraulic shop.so I can make something up to check the manifolds and flush them out if need be.i noticed I have rust when last weekend when I started the boat and no water was exiting I pulled the hoses off the manifolds and rust came out.would u recommended anything to flush the motor out with to remove some of the rust or is there nothing out there.i was thinking about using hot hot water to do it but not to hot.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can just blast it out with water. If they look good then clean up the mating surfaces & install new Volvo Penta gaskets. If not & you have to replace Barr Marine makes a nice aftermarket version. I have them on my old 4.3. I’d give them an extra coat of Rustolium though.
The best way to check the manifolds for leaks is to prop them up level & fill with acetone (careful, flammable). The acetone will find rusted through spots that water won’t till they get hot.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so my thermostat said 160 on it so I bought a new one that's rated for 160 degrees. I got my old one out it was held in with a o ring.

Dan01543

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Look for a gimbal bearing kit for a 1996 cobra sx outdrive if anyone has a part number or knows where I can get a complete kit I'd appreciate it. Again 1996 volvo penta cobra sx outdrive need a gimbal bearing kit.thank you.