Switching hulls can my 70hp push it

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just came accross a cajun espirit bass/ski hull at a great price. My question is does any have any ideas if a 1982 70hp evinrude will make an acceptable mate for this hull. currently I have a bass bomber which is known to be a heavy hull don't know the exact weight, did some reseach on the cajun the weight according to iboats is 960 pounds. I hope it will its a nice hull that would suit my needs.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Switching hulls can my 70hp push it

You need to figure out the max HP rating the boats can handle to compare them. It's hard to look up we don't know the year.

You can look up the specs of both boats on Iboats or go to http://www.nadaguides.com and drill down the boats section.

There's also a aluminum plate inside the boat near the helm that should tell you the largest engine you can mount.

Let us know what you find.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The max rated hp is 150 although i've read it was a little overrated its a 1985 model. Also its 17' long my current boat is 15'6"

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i do not think you will be happy with the 70hp. the hp rule of thumb, to get decent performance, minimum hp is 70% of the boats rated hp. 70 % of 150 is 105hp.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS FOR THE LINK IT GAVE ME THE SUGGESTED PRICE WITH EQUIPMENT I'M LOOKING AT JUST THE HULL. I'm hoping not to have to repower at least not soon the hull fits my needs just don't know if my motor would be a good fit. If anyone needs more info on the boats or motor I'll provide promtly. If its a fit I want to jump on it quickly if not I don't want to waste money.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

THANKS FOR THE LINK IT GAVE ME THE SUGGESTED PRICE WITH EQUIPMENT I'M LOOKING AT JUST THE HULL. I'm hoping not to have to repower at least not soon the hull fits my needs just don't know if my motor would be a good fit. If anyone needs more info on the boats or motor I'll provide promtly. If its a fit I want to jump on it quickly if not I don't want to waste money.

NP. Well what do you use your boat for? The 70 HP will "get you by" but skiing and tubing probably isn't going to happen. If all you do is fish you're probably OK. I sold a 65 HP merc to a guy that put it on a 22 footer. I warned him it might not even plane the boat, but he said he didn't care. He was just using the boat for fishing and didn't care how long it took to get there. Me? I'm the opposite. I took a 100 HP off a 20 footer and put it on a 16' tri-hull to nearly max it out.

Check the transom height and make sure your 70 HP doesn't sit too high.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Truthfully...to me the HP rating on a boat can be hogwash....or at the very least unexplainable..

I wanted a 2070 ULTRA ROUGHNECK mod v from LOWE.

they offered three versions

a tiller rated for 60hp
a side console rated for 115
and a center console version rated for 115 also

but the hull is the same...I looked in the well of a center console version before I bought my tiller model and it has the same bracing and same transom .

I bought the center console extra from the dealer to install myself on my boat....so ill have a center console model with a different layout...but my tag will still read 60 HP MAX!!!

332bgwn.jpg

2ic8opv.jpg

incidentaly the reason i bought the tiller is this is the layout I wanted to have..and it was easier and cheaper to start with the tiller version:

n32aet.jpg

do they think the sheet metal of the decking offers enough support to double the HP rating?? no way

bob

tashasdaddy

Bob on the hp rateing from tiller to console, there are many other factors involved, than the hull. look at the USCG guidelines. any tiller boat is going to have a lower rating, than a console. it is a control and safety factor.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

thats my point..I add a center console...like the factory.... but my tag says 60 hp still

bob

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input I'm probally going to buy the hull, it will be a good off the water project. If my 70hp does'nt cut the muster than I can always sell my current boat to repower. Any suggesttions on cutting weight on the hull?

tashasdaddy

making sure it does not have any saturated foam.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Truthfully...to me the HP rating on a boat can be hogwash....or at the very least unexplainable.. I wanted a 2070 ULTRA ROUGHNECK mod v from LOWE. they offered three versions

a tiller rated for 60hp
a side console rated for 115
and a center console version rated for 115 also

but the hull is the same...I looked in the well of a center console version before I bought my tiller model and it has the same bracing and same transom .

bob

Looking for a short answer? I'll try!

The Coast Guard has two different methods to determine your max HP:
a) Mathematical Equation based on the boat length & transom width. This is an extremely conservative number.
b) Performance test done by USCG under certain conditions. This is done to enhance the value determined by the mathematical equation.

If your boat manufacture was lazy and only went with the mathematical equation then all three of your models would be rated 60 HP based on the mathematical equation alone. LOWE had USCG perform a performance test on qualifying models. Your tiller-model doesn't meet the qualification for a performance test because it doesn't have a remote steering. Why? because steering is key to keeping a large engine under control!

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking for a short answer? I'll try!
If your boat manufacture was lazy and only went with the mathematical equation then all three of your models would be rated 60 HP based on the mathematical equation alone. LOWE had USCG perform a performance test on qualifying models. Your tiller-model doesn't meet the qualification for a performance test because it doesn't have a remote steering. Why? because steering is key to keeping a large engine under control!

To add to this: You can make a request to the CG if they'll re-certify your boat since you added the center console it qualifies for a performance test. I don't know if they'll do it or not.

I don't know if it would get you out of a ticket. It sounds like the hull is capable to run 115 HP but you'll have to be ready to explain that if questioned by CG to avoid a ticket. Your resale value probably won't be as high as identical counterparts too.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NP. Well what do you use your boat for? The 70 HP will "get you by" but skiing and tubing probably isn't going to happen. If all you do is fish you're probably OK. I sold a 65 HP merc to a guy that put it on a 22 footer. I warned him it might not even plane the boat, but he said he didn't care. He was just using the boat for fishing and didn't care how long it took to get there. Me? I'm the opposite. I took a 100 HP off a 20 footer and put it on a 16' tri-hull to nearly max it out.

Check the transom height and make sure your 70 HP doesn't sit too high.

I'm not far off that my 15'6" is rated for a 65 HP I have a 70 HP. After I pick the hull up I'll post some pics.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

making sure it does not have any saturated foam.

I would have suggested the same......
plus replaceing wood with fiberglass and maybe aluminum( if structural and attachable) might save some weight and prevent soaking up water in the future.

I have read about a lot of bass boats that their foam was holding as much as 300 lbs of water

good luck

bob