switchbox

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: switchbox

Bad switchbox can cause all kinds of ign. problems. Also a weak spark could be a stator going bad. Get a manual and test the stator w/ a meter. If it is ok the switchbox is probably bad and I know no way to test those w/ a meter. If you had a V6 you could swap them to check but you will need to find one somewhere.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Poor output from the stator will show up on all 3 cyl's. Poor output is most likely the powerpack or the ign coil.<br /><br />The powerpack converts and steps the spark up prior to sending it to the coil.<br /><br />TMD

chadchurchill

Seaman

It is a 1986 75hp inline 4 cylinder(serial #A198778) and gets weak spark on all cylinders. Tested the stator and I get no reading between the blue and blue/white wires. I do get a reading from the red and red/white wires. My meter only has a RX1000 scale which it said to use on the blue wire test. The manual says to use the RX1 scale (which my meter doesn't have) for testing the red leads, so I just used the RX1000 scale and it read 3 on the meter for ohms.<br /><br />Sounds like a new stator huh?

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before replacing , go to sears get a digital meter (around 20-30 bucks) and do a complete test. A must if you do your own elec. service work. My V6 says to test between the red & blue and w/red w/blue. Maybe yours is different.<br />Good Luck

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

If all else, you can take your stator off and take it to a dealership mechanic and let them test it. They will propably try to sell you one.