Switch to diesel???

caldean

Recruit
If one is considering purchasing a 20 year old 42' chris craft and the existing motors (2) have over 1000 hours logged, and it is currently gasoline, would it make sense to convert it to Diesel engines in lieu of overhauling the existing gasoline engines (350 hp)?<br /><br />What would the ball park costs be for each, assuming you can get rebuilt engines for either, otherwise what would new engines run for either?

magster65

Commander
Re: Switch to diesel???

Howdy.<br />You may not have to woory about new engines for a while. A relative of mine has a 31' Silverton with 2 x 318's, they have over 3200 hours on them and run excellent still. He is very diligent (sp?) with his maintenance mind you. For estimates, prices vary a lot so you should call a local shop.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Switch to diesel???

Caldean.. Couple questions you need to ask yourself are, "how much am I going to actually use the boat, and how many hours do I plan on putting on the engines"... <br /><br />If you plan to cruise alot or make trips to the islands like Florida to the Bahamas, then diesels would be a better choice for both fuel economy and longevity... <br /><br />To convert to diesel there are other considerations than just the engines and gears... The propshafts will likely have to be changed out in leiu of larger diameter shafts... New props, couplers, cutlass bearings, struts, ect., are just a few things that have to be changed out... Lots of $$$$$...<br /><br />If you plan to "park it" and use it for occasional entertainment I'd stick with what it has... It would'nt be worth it to have the diesels and just have them sitting...<br /><br />Rebuilt 454 (assuming it has 454's) long blocks are about $3000 each... New 454, $7000 or better...<br /><br />Small Diesel, new, at least $20,000, probably more.... Used/Rebuilt, I dunno $$$ ?