switch box

moach1

Cadet
i have a 89 mecr black max xr4 150. what does do the switch boxes do? what do they control?

emckelvy

Commander
Re: switch box

The switchboxes (aka "power packs) act as a sophisticated "electronic switch" / "routing device" to send voltage to the ign coils.

The flywheel has magnets fastened to its inner surface and they ride very closely around the "Stator", which mounts under the flywheel to the upper bearing cap.

When these magnets pass the "Stator", voltage is generated thru windings permanently embedded in the stator. The switchboxes must 'accept' this voltage and send it to the proper coil at the correct time.

They do this by taking input from the 'trigger' which is also mounted under the flywheel, and rests in the very center, inside the I.D. of the stator.

The trigger is also affected by the magnets and the position of the trigger determines when the switchboxes will send voltage to a coil, and which cylinder will be the one to fire next.

The throttle arm has linkage connecting it to both trigger and carbs, so that when the arm moves to increase throttle, the trigger moves in synch with the carbs. When the trigger moves in the "up throttle" direction, it advances timing, and vice-versa. Maximum spark advance (timing) is deterimined by a timing scale/pointer and adjusted via a mechanical stop.

The ignition coils have primary and secondary windings, and thru the "transformer effect", amplify the voltage sent to them, to provide a very high voltage to fire the spark plugs.

Anyway, that's a very basic description, there's of course lots of fine details but hopefully this is what you were looking for.

If you're having issues with your ignition system, let us know what symptoms you're having and maybe we can help.

Be sure to list your Serial # in your post.

If you're curious, you can look up parts diagrams for your motor here (they're broken down first by horsepower then serial #).

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/SelectModelType3.asp?class_id=2

HTH........ed

moach1

Cadet

thanks. my problem is losing power. out of the hole, on plane, its just not running right. then out of nowhere, starts running like a champ for a little while. wot 5200 rpm, rips out of the hole. then back to crap. wot 4000rpm, struggling to get out of hole, like the engine is flooded. i have changed all plugs, fuel line and cleaned carbs. temp alarm is on a lot too. i am starting to think something electrical. 89 merc black max xr4 150. serial # 0b376008

dingohowie

Recruit

I also have the same problem with my 1987 135hp Black Max Merc outboard. Runs terrible, then out of the blue it runs great and back to terrible.

What did you find as your solution?? you figured it was an electrical problem? Can you give details if you ever did get a solution?

I have described my problem to two people who know more about boat motors than I do and they both have said that it could be a coil issue (neither of them have actually looked at motor).

And if it is a coil problem....what would be next step? From a little bit of research I have found there are ignition coils and stator coils....so which would it be? and how do I find out?

But like the last poster I have very similar problem as he had and he figured it may be the switchbox.

Any help is appreciated....thanks in advance.

SN: 0B122038

j_martin

Admiral

This thread is 3 years old. Please read the announcement at the top of this forum.