Swim ladder, mounted or detached?

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
awm+550+detach+mount+for+swim+ladder.jpg

A detachable swim ladder can be hung from the curved section of this transom on the metal rectangle. Would this work well for you?

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Swim ladder, mounted or detached?

Depends on you outings. Do you have kids? Will they be going in the water at every stop you make? If not then detachable seems fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we've always climbed up the motor. av plate makes great step.

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Climbing up the motor works great until somebody slips and cuts their leg open on the prop. I've seen it happen on a pontoon boat. Going to the hospital isn't a way to end a good day on the lake.

ziggy

Admiral

Would this work well for you?
sure, as long as i don't have to trip over the ladder when it's inside the boat.....i'm with td though. i use the av plate.....wvit. ya'll only slip once and ya'll learn what not to do ;).......agreed though. it is a dangerous way to get back in, but it's just too easy once yer hip. folks that don't go boating often probably shouldn't get back in that way though. they don't understand the momentem thing to get back in and surely will slip and hurt themselves.....better if they have other options.....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It doesn't matter if it works well for me. If its your boat, then all that matters is if it works for you.

Seeing as the mount is already on your boat, how does it work for you?

tashasdaddy

a lot of boats with swim platforms, you can't use the av plate. my chris craft has a built in ladder.

narukami

Cadet

My assessment of detachable swim ladders is this:

1. They're better and generally safer than no ladder at all for inexperienced boaters...and there always seems to be at least one inexperienced or minimally experienced boater in the boat/water.

2. They can be difficult to use because they are not particularly stable unless they are custom designed to fit your boat.

3. They can be difficult to master for extremely large people or very young people. It takes practice to learn how to climb the ladder and stabilize it at the same time.

4. Often, for storage purposes, the ladders are so short that the bottom rung is not low enough in the water for swimmers to use easily.

5. The design and/or stability problems are magnified when the skier or swimmer is exhausted from being in the water a long time.

:cool:

tashasdaddy

my deck boat has the bow and stern ladder, both are deployed when snorkeling.