Suzuki mid range problems

dac675

Cadet
Hello group. I was hoping someone out there might have some ideas about a problem I am having. As I have come to find, it seems few people have expertise in the area of Suzukis...

I have a 1988 Suzuki 200 Exante (200/S) two stroke engine (with carbs). The boat has been acting funny since last season, and has virtually no mid range in the RPM band. The engine starts right up and idles fine. Also, the engine runs fine at throttle settings of about 70% and greater (if you can get it to pick up without stalling). It will stall every time, however, at mid-range thottle settings (just runs rough and cuts out).

Early this season, I changed the plugs, changed a suspect coil, did a full tune up and lube (including water pump and lower unit lube), cleaned out the carbs, rebuilt the fuel pumps, changed all fuel filters, and replaced the fuel lines.

Dropped the boat in this week and it is still doing the exact same thing. Idle is fine (in or out of gear), but mid range just cuts out. If it can be coaxed up, the boat leaps out of the water and is fine from the 70% to 100% throttle setting. Just no middle. Checked fuel pressure and it is fairly constant with no signifcant fluctations or drops.

I have checked the TPS resistor and it has a nice linear resistance change through the stroke. I cannot find anything in the Clymer manual for setting the TPS on a carb'd engine, although it does tell you how to calibrate the TPS on the FI engines. And yes - I know I should be working from the Suzuki manual, but this is an old engine and I have yet to find an OEM book on it.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their suzuki? Any experience or input would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards an ignition issue (maybe advance or lact there of) since the fuel side of things seems good, but these engines are not very user serviceable as far as ignition (everything is computer controlled).

Thanks for reading and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Dennis

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Suzuki mid range problems

try bronspoint for the manual

sounds like carbs and fuel
how did u clean and rebuild

dac675

Cadet

I used spray carb cleaner to flush and a little on a q-tip to get any residue out of the bowls. All things considered, except for a small amount of varnish at the base of the bowls, they were very clean. All ports flushed (with carb cleaner) and blown out with low pressure dry air. All packings and gaskets changed.

Anything I am missing?

dac675

Cadet

Also - fuel pumps were rebuilt with the Suzuki kits from Brownspoint. New springs and diaphragms. Strange that they don't come with new check valves (they don't even list them in the parts breakdown - I guess you need to buy a new pump if they go bad), but the old ones seemed to be in good condition.

dac675

Cadet

One other thing - I see from the Brownspoint website that there are different jets available for these carbs. Is it possible that I am underjetted?

JUSTINTIME

Captain

what is the alltitude your out
did u take out the jets and clean?

dac675

Cadet

I am at sea level (NY). Jets removed and cleaned out. Jet holders cleaned and flushed with new packings.

I had purchased the boat last season from someone originally using it in Tennesee - is it likely that the carb jetting is set up wrong for use at sea level? Is there a rule of thumb size that I should be using for operation at sea level?

Thanks again.