Suzuki DT5 Shear Pin

Corman97

Recruit
Hello.

I have an old Suzuki DT5 outboard, and my wife snapped our one and only shear pin. Other than at Ebay, I can't find any of the original OEM part (09202-05020) anywhere. It's not made anymore (not surprising considering its a 1983 engine!). It's a 5mm x 27mm pin.

My question is whether any similar sized marine shear pin would work as a replacement? If not, what info (i.e., material, strength, etc.) would I need to take to a machine shop if I want to get some made?

Thanks!
Corey

Corman97

Recruit
Brass screw from local hardware store.-----File off the threads till it fits.
Thanks for the reply racerone.

I was wondering about brass vs SS. I think the OEM pins are SS but that seems overkill for such as small motor (5HP). I want the pin to shear, and not be so strong that the propeller is damaged.

Would a simple brass rod, cut to size to give me several pins, work? I can get a 3/16" rod from my local home depot. The OEM pin is 5mm (13/64") so the rod would be just a hair smaller in diameter - from your post I assume that would be fine?

Thanks!
Corey

flashback

Captain
You sure it's not aluminum, stainless doesn't sound right. Brass is good.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
take the sheared pin to the machine shop, they can test to see what it is made of, and make a few for you.
I know trolling motor pins are SS

or order them from e bay since you say you can find them on there

Corman97

Recruit
it snapped a SS pin, so why not use SS
You sure it's not aluminum, stainless doesn't sound right. Brass is good.
take the sheared pin to the machine shop, they can test to see what it is made of, and make a few for you.
I know trolling motor pins are SS

or order them from e bay since you say you can find them on there

Thanks for the replies.

Seems a lot of people just do bush fixes are use hardware store rod and cut up their own!

I hadn't thought of aluminum... I'm just assuming the pin that broke was SS mostly based on what I'm seeing online from resellers. I think my wife kept he broken one, I'll need to look more closely at it, but I don't think it was brass.

Good idea re: taking it to a machine shop.

My wife picked up this motor used, so I'm not even sure that the pin that broke was an actual OEM part or something else. I couldn't find any info on the exact type of metal the OEM Suzuki part (09202-05020) was made of.

If I understand correctly, brass would be softest, followed by aluminum, then SS (which could vary in grade). I understand it the pins are designed with the specific motor in mind so I'd be leery of SS (knowing the proper grade to get).

Any need to be worried about the brass just deforming instead of shearing? If so, maybe aluminum would be a good middle ground for a DYI solution?

I have gone ahead an ordered one pin from Ebay (could be 3 weeks for delivery). Seems to be OEM, but who knows with Ebay. I can take that to a machine shop to find out what it is exactly what it is, but in the mean time I'd still like to make some additional backups myself and don't want to wait 3 weeks to get back on the water.

Cheers,
Corey