Suzuki DT200

gwman

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 or 1997 Suzuki DT 200 which has been a great and reliable engine. This year it seems to be running a bit hot and smokes (blue) at idle. 2 questions:<br />1 - Does high octane gas contribute to an engne running hot? Should I step down the octane to 89?<br /><br />2 - how do i decrease the gas/fuel ratio? Is there a screw/adjustment somewhere?<br /><br />Thanks all..

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki DT200

This is a double posted question.<br /><br />High octane gas isn't making your engine run hot. Your engine will run fine on 87 octane. If the idle mixture needs to be corrected there is an idle mixture adjustment on your carbs. The high speed jets are fixed. But a lean idle isn't causing your engine to overheat either. The blue smoke is oil. Check to see if your engine is actually overheating. You should be able to place your hand on the block between the flywheel and the cylinder heads for 5 seconds without burning yourself. What makes you think its overheating, did the alarm go off? Do you have a good pee stream? Are your plugs oil fouled?