suzuki dt 200 over rev limiter restricts top end

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a suzuki dt 200 i believe its a 88 or 89. the problem is when i go above 2000 rpms in neutral or under way my rev limiter light goes off on my suzuki monitor. this restricts me to a slow speed. at 1st i thought that this could be due to over oiling being that i running mixed gas and the motor was oiling as well so she was burning 100:1. I corrected this by hooking up a external tank and just let the engine mix alone. tried to run the motor and it was doing the same thing. in the manual that i have it says it could be a reset switch or a possible bad cdi.. the reset switch in totally inclosed and is just a simple contact switch and seems to be in good condition.. when i try to reset it i still have the same problem.. what are the chances that it is a bad cdi? would something wrong with the carbs casue this problem? the motor runs very well intill it hits 2000rpms and the limiter kicks in... any help would be greatly appreicated.. i will be checking the post often so if any other information would help just let me know and i will be able to get it very quickly.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: suzuki dt 200 over rev limiter restricts top end

Double oil would be 25 to 1 not 100 to 1. it is shown as fuel to oil as a ratio

Not real sure on the DT200 but a lot of motors limit rpm during safe mode by retarding the timing, so a timing light should show if that is happening when you try to go over 2K.

Also, safe mode usually limits RPM to 2000 and brings in an alarm buzzer. Does your alarm system work properly?

the buzzer isnt currenty hooked up.. all i have for a warning system is the suzuki monitor.. which has a oil flow, oil level gauge, high temp, rev limit , check engine light.. in the manual that i have it states that if the engine was being limited beacasue of oil flow or mix that you would be able to press the reset button and be able to run the motor at regular operating speeds for 30 mins then after that it would go back to the safe mode... when i press the reset button i have the same result with the engine being limited at 2000rpms....

Not sure but could could be neutral safety switch, i've seen it on a newer motor. Good Luck w/ it.

mobilemike

Seaman Apprentice

Older v6 suzukis have an oil module behind the microlink/cdi cover at the rear of the engine. Remove the cover and look for a rectangular black box about 2" long. It will have a red plastic sleeve around the wire bundle and be close to the bottom near a hole in the plastic that houses the coils. Unhook it from the harness and retest. The warning system should still work,but the rev limit will not.I think that this part is NLA, but i know of many that are still running with them unhooked.

Kjeldman

Recruit
So what was it? I’ve got the same thing going on (I didn’t see the box where you can unhook the limiter?).

tpenfield

Staff member
Please don't post to old/dormant threads as per the forum rules. The OP has not been on the forums since 2011 and unlikely to respond.

It is best to post your own thread with your relevant information.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.