Suzuki DF140 valve noise

hahart

Recruit
When I start my DF140 right after I launch the boat (starting it for the first time that day), I can hear what sounds like valves rattling for a couple of seconds. I took it to the dealer to have the valve clearance checked, but he said that the valves don't need to be checked until there is over 400 hours on the motor. I didn't get to talk to the tech when I picked the boat up, and on the phone he mentioned it was normal! Well, the engine never did this before, so how can it be normal now??? I have at least 200 hours on the engine with no problems...can anyone give me any hints to as what this noise could be??<br /><br />Thanks,<br />H Ahart

JZ100

Recruit
Re: Suzuki DF140 valve noise

The oil filer may have drained because of the position of the motor. It may have taken a few seconds for the oil to get up there!! I wouldn't be concerned about it if the proper oil changes have been completed. Just Run It

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Is a pretty simple thing to check the valve clearance with a feeler gage. It wouldn't hurt and then you would know. Get a manual and a feeler gage and have at it.

JZ100

Recruit

i ment to say filter not filler! I have a 115 and it does the same thing after a long sit!

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

First, that noise does happen sometimes for the reasons stated above. Second, find another dealer. If you read your owner's manual, it states that valve lash should be checked at 20 hours and every 200 hrs after that. Checking it yourself won't do you much good as you will not be able to adjust it - that engine has a "bucket & shim" system. You need special tools and a complete valve shim assortment.

glen

Recruit

Lakensea's got it right. Just went through the 20 hour with my DF140 and the mechanic. (Had to use the shop for warranty purposes). The procedure is not all that hard (similar to certain motorcycles and European cars) if you have the manual, the tool to push on the shims (order from Suzuki) and you get the shim dimensions necessary with a first measuring, and then ordering the correct ones for placement. The shims are expensive though! ($9 a pop.)

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i can concur with the last 2 posts, but the post about it being normal, not so convincing, 20 hour check, 200 check, and service, ritually, if you hear noise, that was never there before, chances are theres a potential problem, id find another dealer who has more of an interest in repairing engines, than makin the quick buck on 20 hour services, all to common anymore, the phrase of just run it, well thats your call, but id have it rechecked, are you still under warranty, 200 hrs, i would think so, good luck and keep us posted