Suzuki 140 Stiff Squeaky steering problems - need suggestions PLEASE

Arbutis

Recruit
For 2 seasons now I have been dealing with squeaky stiff steering. I have eliminated the SeaStar hydraulic steering as the problem because I detached it from the engine and it works fine while the engine still sticks. Last year I continually greased the zerk fitting on the side of the engine in order to get through the season and it seemed to be a fix - but didn't last. It seems as thought there is old grease gunked up in the top portion of the steering column because now when I pump grease it extrudes out through the bottom only and not the top.
I have tried a heat gun on the column while pushing the engine back and forth many many many times while pumping grease as well as Kroil into the zerk and around the upper portion of the steering column. I just can't get past the gunked up top portion where the problem exists.

My next option is to rent a Hot Water Pressure Washer ($150+) and somehow attach a fitting to the hole where the zerk fitting attaches in order to blast hot water into this column and hopefully clean and clear out all the grease including the dried up old crud that has been causing this problem. I would have to rent this washer, borrow a tow truck from a friend, figure out how find a compatible nozzle connector to attach the washer to the zerk threaded hole and the turn it on and HOPE that it all somehow works. And then refill the column with new marine grease.

This project will cost me about $200 (minimum) but I am faced with the alternative of paying well over $1500 by bringing it to a dealer. From what I understand it will require about 12 hours of labor in order to remove the lower unit, remove the power head and basically disassemble the entire engine in order to get to the steering column - just to clean out dried up grease.

My question: Does it seem like a viable option to spend the time and money to hot power wash this area? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
My question: Does it seem like a viable option to spend the time and money to hot power wash this area? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... I'd sooner think there's a Corrosion problem in the swivel tube, rather than just ole grease,.....

I kinda doubt yer pressure washer idea will be a cure,....