Suzuki 140 Hp / Keywest 20'???

Duckbay

Cadet
I believe it was Capt Jack who installed a Suzuki 140, about 2 years ago on a 20' Keywest. I was wondering how that installation is behaving?<br /><br />I have a Grady 20' Weekender with a Yamaha 150Hp 2 stroke and considering installing a 140Hp Suzuki 4 stroke.<br /><br />Any comments?<br /><br />Thanks! David...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Suzuki 140 Hp / Keywest 20'???

hello<br /> not to take anything from the suzy q,but if your controls and ign cables are compatible you may save another 1000 dollars by buying the F150 yam and using your existing rigging. there are charts avalible to tell what is compatible and what is not. but the suzuki is a nice motor as well<br />good luck and keep us posted if ya do it

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto with Rodbolt, if it were my boat I would be looking hard at the 150 four-stroke Yammy.<br /><br />Not taking anything away from the Suzuki 140, but I would want the extra 10 HP and to keep the same controls.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I don't know how the installation went on that particular project, but being really close to a couple of people that own a Key West Dealership, let me share my thoughts:<br /><br />Key West put out a new model this year, the Key West 18' in Center Console, Dual Console and Bay boat. I do not know about the bay, but the recommended set-up for the DC and CC 18' boat is 150HP. This boat has an 8' beam like the 20' does and in my opinion, the 140 will not be enough ponies to get the performance one would look for. If the 18' recommends a 150, I would not go any less than 175 for the 20'. In fact, that is the way this dealer rigs them.<br /><br />I would be staying with the 150 or better, and definetly stay with a Yammie.

jprasisto

Seaman

Last season I repowered a GW 25 Sailfish with twin Suzi 140's/ They have plenty of power to push me along just fine. I repowered from twin 1986 envin 150's and I'm getting the same speed out of the 140's. You don't say what year your yammy is but if it's older than the power difference's may not be that great. If your happy with your current performance you'l be happy with the Suzi's for all the reasons that get listed here.(quiet, no smoke.....) I have a dealer real close to me so service will not be an issue, make sure you have one close also!