Surounding states get ready!

LubeDude

Admiral
The Surounding states to the devistation are looking forward to an influx of Homeles people, I dont mean just people up rooted that were decent law abidding individuals, but the 35% of the unemployed and just plain street people from New Orleans. Look for you crime rates to climb and your streets to fill up. :eek:

Twidget

Commander
Re: Surounding states get ready!

That was being discussed on the local radio today. It is quite a concern, considering how many people are being dropped in the area.

Ron G

Commander

yea there even already making there way up here.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yep, they are already talking about it here too. They are going to be taking some extra measures and security.<br /><br />There have already been reports of fights and guns confiscated at the Astrodome.<br /><br />Ken

ebbtide176

Commander

i thought we might be too far away, but i saw a report yesterday that said many tulane univ students were housed at ga tech. and tons of refugees are in diff shelters here in atlanta.<br /><br />i do thinks its great how many cities are giving free shelter/food/clothing to many refugees. alot of people with extra rooms around atlanta are offering it online. i can't say as far as the crime stats, but i don't go downtown anymore anyway.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a good reason why so many homeless street people live (lived) in the big easy. Its warm in south Louisiana. They may come north for a few months but when the snow fly’s I beat they will be hitching a ride south.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I would look at this as an opportunity for these people to improve their position in life and find a better more productive existance in an area that doesn't pander to laziness.

Homerr

Commander

Go ahead and bring your crime up here... We'll show you how our concealed weapons work :eek: <br /><br />We don't have the room anyway... It's already taken by the illegals from South of the border. :) <br /><br />Here's a thought... Send the gangs and criminals to Mexico... They'd fit right in. The weather is decent, no law.., PERFECT!<br /><br /><br />H.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't realize Minnesota was a surrounding state, there will be 3000 housed at camp riply 40 miles south of us.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pointer<br /> while I share your optimism the pessimistic side of me says they will most likly sit in their FEMA trailers and complain the govt isnt handing out enough. now would be a good time to try to get some of the refugees some training. make it mandatory, if you sit in a FEMA trailer you go to school. be it trade school, classes held at the refugee center or something.hopefully the govt will look into something like that rather than just handouts.

Twidget

Commander

When the law changed in the early/mid 90s saying that people had to get training (free to them) to stay on welfare I worked at a school. The county and state paid for the training. I trained in electronics and the school also had Windows office environment.<br /><br />About over half of the people that came in made it clear up front that they were not interested in learing, they were doing it to keep their welfare check. <br /><br />I was up front once when I thought the head administrative assistant was going to kill a woman. A student had been to an interview and turned the job down because it only paint $8.50 and the benefits werent up to her 'standards'. She was making more money at home, with better healthcare than she could get working. <br /><br />IMHO, required training is a waste. I would prefer a time limit, followed by proof that they had actually attempted to get work.

capjack

Cadet

I thought this excerpt regarding Chicago rebuilding a century ago from Larry Elder's book relevant to what is needed today. <br /><br />I copied from his book so I have no link - sorry.<br /><br /><br />From Larry Elder's<br /> The Ten Things You Can't Say in America<br />
<br />Is Government Welfare Necessary?<br />"In 1871 a fire nearly destroyed the entire city of Chicago, yet, the city rebuilt itself with virtually no government assistance.<br />The mayor of Chicago put a nonprofit agency, the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, in charge of accepting and distributing the charitable contributions that poured in from all around the country. The police maintained order and attempted to keep looting to a minimum. But this was about the extent of the government’s role.<br />Just two weeks after the fire, 0. C. Gibbs of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society issued a circular to all Society personnel. The contents of that memo are worth quoting at length:<br />Every carpenter or mason can now earn from three to four dollars per day, every laborer two dollars, every half-grown boy one dollar, every woman capable of doing household work from two to three dollars per week and her board. . . Clerks, and persons unaccustomed to outdoor labor, if they cannot find such employment as they have been accustomed to, must take such as is offered or leave the city. Any man, single woman, or boy, able to work and unemployed at this time, is so from choice and not from necessity...<br />Give no aid to any families who are capable of earning their own support, if fully employed.<br />No aid should be rendered to persons possessed of property, either personal or real, from which they might, by reasonable exertions, procure the means to supply their wants, nor to those who have friends able to help them.<br />The Society received some criticism for its arguably bureaucratic way of administering aid, but most observers called its work outstanding. The organization’s meticulous record keeping and careful investigation of applicants helped to detect fraud, making <br />sure beneficiaries truly needed assistance, unlike the "get-in-line, here's-a-check" mentality of today<br />If the city of Chicago, now the nation’s third-largest city, could rebuild itself without government assistance, why assume government is required for individuals to rebuild themselves?"
Can't many of those displaced be employed putting NO back together? Perhaps corporations in the building/plumbing/electrical trades could co-operate and put together some kind of apprenticeship/training program and offer those who have no jobs or skills a trade and a chance of a new life? Like a Job Corp type deal where they live on site and earn a living while learning a trade... or something?<br /><br />The left will just implement programs that continue fostering the dependency that made so many too helpless to act on their own behalf to begin with.<br /><br /><br />Cincinnati, where I live, has had the race issue shoved in our face since the '01 riots. Our daily shootings are likely to increase when new players come to town and challenge the prevailing drug kings.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

twidget<br /> I should have added that the handouts would also be based on passing grades in training. <br /><br /> capjack<br /> oh man I can hear the liberals howl now. the inhumanity of it. actually force someone to work?

capjack

Cadet

rodbolt<br /><br />LOL -I know - it violates their religion.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

And then shortly therafter came along the likes of FDR and Huey Long and the chicken in every pot. Yous wants me to cook that too? The rest is what we're stuck wit.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wildbill<br /> not only should it be cooked, the cooking source shall be supplied and only the very best of seasonings shall be used.<br /> next generation will require a dishwasher to clean up.<br /> and the generation after that will require spoon feeding. would not wish for anyone to pull a table muscle would we ?<br /><br /> well I think ill go sit on the porch on my sofa with my MD20/20 and watch the washing machine spin.<br /> ya never know when Ed McMahon will show up and I want to be here when he does.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, now that its been awhile, what do we have to say?<br /><br />Are they well behaved people just wanting to get there lives back in order?<br /><br />Or are they trouble making individuals looking for a hand out?<br /><br />Has the crime rates climbed in your area?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

LD, we have a handful of these folks that got airlifted up here but we're sending someplace where life will be more familiar to them, The Orygun coast. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Well, now that its been awhile, what do we have to say?<br /><br />Are they well behaved people just wanting to get there lives back in order?<br /><br />Or are they trouble making individuals looking for a hand out?<br /><br />Has the crime rates climbed in your area?
Believe it or not, out of the 50 residing at my church, all but a handful are well-behaved individuals looking for a hand-out. That's all I can relate from personal experience.<br /><br />yeah, LD, you (and a couple others) owe me a couple of "told-you-so's".