Surge Brakes On A Tracker Trailster Trailer

robv10

Recruit
Does anyone know what is required if anything before backing up this trailer with surge brakes? I am trying to decide if I should get the optional brakes with the Pro Guide V16 SC. I've been told it has a 4 wire connector which means there is no solonoid to release them when in reverse.I was also told something about having to remove some pin prior to going in reverse. And yes I have talked to Tracker sales people and they dont even think brakes are needed and I am not convinced they know which boat uses what kind of brakes.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Surge Brakes On A Tracker Trailster Trailer

I'm not familiar with your kind of trailer, but I have a dual axle trailer with surge brakes. I too have a flat 4 pin connector, so I have to rely on the lock out pin to prevent the surge brakes from activating when reversing.

On my trailer (tricker trailer) the "safety" pin that prevents the coupler from coming off the tow ball doubles as the lockout pin. The concept of surge brakes is when the tow vehicle slows down the trailer is still going at the original speed hence the coupler "surges" forward on the trailer frame thus activating the trailer brakes via hydraulic fluid. This system cannot differentiate from going forward and in reverse The pin is required to prevent the coupler surging forward.

If your boat is > 1,000 lbs I would strongly suggest that you get a trailer with brakes. It eases wear on your vehicle's brakes, helps stopping and all around is safer.
Just my 2 cents worth :)

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Surge Brakes On A Tracker Trailster Trailer

Get the brakes. Easy to use the lockout pin. Most of the time I don't bother,
only an issue backing against resistance (up a hill or soft ground).

Get the brakes!!