Surge brake problems

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Shorelander dual axel boat trailer with hydraulic surge brakes. Of course, the brakes lock up in reverse. What I have been doing is turning the headlights on and plugging the blue wire plug (brake) into the headlight plug on the plug from the vehicle and the brakes release. Now all of a sudden they will not. Im having to use the manual lock out key and it always falls out and takes me forever to back up. So my question is this: Why will the surge brakes not release in reverse when the blue wire plug has power to it? Blown fuse? Thanks for your help.

Don

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Surge brake problems

If the fuse was blown one would think that your running lights wouldn't work. Perhaps the solenoid is burnt out. Apply a known good source of 12 VDC and see if you hear the solenoid click.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Why will the surge brakes not release in reverse when the blue wire plug has power to it? Blown fuse?

Have you tested for power at the plug to rule out the blown fuse?

There is no fuse on the trailer.

insearch

Seaman

I had a trailer that I had to put a pin in before I could back it up

Modern equipment what will they thing of next

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, I was referring to blown fuse in the trailer. Since there are no fuses in the trailer, that rules that out. I put a volt meter on the plug and verified that there is juice getting back there. When I plug it in, I don't hear the solenoid switch, so must be burn out. My next question: Where is the solenoid located? I followed the blue wire all the way into the tongue of the trailer but there are no access points for me to check/replace. Thanks for the help.

Don

Bifflefan

Commander

Possible that the back-up solyniod has failed.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I had a trailer that I had to put a pin in before I could back it up

Modern equipment what will they thing of next

Brakes that don't need disabled for reversing cause they only apply WHILE the tow vehicle is braking.

...My next question: Where is the solenoid located? I followed the blue wire all the way into the tongue of the trailer but there are no access points for me to check/replace...

Post a pic of your coupler/actuator.