Surf Rods and their length

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got my hands on two new Penn Captiva CV8000 spinning reels.

I don't have a boat so I will be using them mainly for surf casting from the beach and from jetty's, but what is with the length and what is the differences in the rods?

Is it personal preference? or does the difference in length between an 8 footer and a 9 footer; and a 9 footer and a 10 footer, have much impact on fishing?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Surf Rods and their length

It depends very much on where you cast.
If you surf cast into shallow water,you will see that the beginning of the surf is far away and the longer the rod, the better.
If you cast into channels,an 8 to 9 footer will do fine.
With a big surf caster,you can throw either a short or a large distance and you do not have to wade into the water to gain those extra few yards.If you can afford it,get a couple of different sizes,otherwise get the one that allows you the most flexibility.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 9' rod is a pretty happy medium. You can cast reasonably far with it and it's also not so long that it's hard to manauver on a jetty. 2 of my 4 surf rods are 9 footers.
Another reason for a long rod is to get your line above heavy surf when it's in the rodholder. But this can also be remedied with very long specialty rod holders.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

I use a 9' Ugly Stick, for general use, mostly for Plugs & Kastmasters, Hopkins.
But I use an 11' when I surf with bait, & it casts over the swells in rough surf