Suncruiser Tahiti by Lowe

mcmodde

Recruit
We are first time boat buyers and have a home on a 1,200 acre lake in Missouri. We want to lounge, fish and ski and originally thought pontoon with horsepower. But after looking and looking are now thinking deck boat and have our eyes on a Tahiti 224 with a 150 hp 4-stroke. Roomy, nice front fishing deck and stable like a pontoon but more manueverable.<br /><br />Love the info I've found here so far but haven't found many comments or reviews of this boat or the manufacturer. Would appreciate any feedback!<br /><br />Thank you!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suncruiser Tahiti by Lowe

Good size boat for that lake. A 'toon or traditional aluminum fish-n-ski will ride better when the water is rough. Deckboats with fiberglass bottoms will be slightly quieter. It's truly difficult to know which type boat would suit you best. Without getting at least a demo in each. Preferably rent for a day.<br /><br />Aluminum deckboats are offered by a few other builders. Such as Fisher, Polar Kraft, Princecraft, Sun Tracker, and Triton. (Princecraft and Triton are also part of Brunswick, like Lowe.) But I think any quality differences between the various aluminum builders are minor compared to different fiberglass boats. When shopping for an aluminum boat my priorities would be the right motor and local dealer over the boat brand.<br /><br />Get rides,<br />Kelly Cook

mcmodde

Recruit

Thank you, thank you! Greatly appreciate your input!<br /><br />On Monday I asked the dealer to arrange a ride and haven't heard a word from him. Tells me he's not too interested in selling the boat and I made sure he knew we were VERY interested in it.<br /><br />We live 2 hours from the lake and I would like to purchase from a dealer close to the lake thinking the service would be easier. Unfortunately, not many dealers in that area. May need to revisit my dealers here at home and quiz them about servicing long distance. A Hurricane here is very attractive but don't want to have to tow it back and forth for service.<br /><br />Am amazed at the choices!! <br /><br />Thanks again, Kay

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

As for servicing, the routine stuff can usually be handled by any shop (may be a marina) that is authorized for your motor's brand. And such shops need not be full fledged dealers selling new boats.<br /><br />When your new boat is delivered I would keep it at a nearby lake for the first outing or two. So you can easily get it back to the dealer for whatever turns up. Call this the shakedown phase. Once the dealer has had time to clear up all the issues found after delivery, then move the boat to the distant lake.<br /><br />The more common problem areas are electrics, fuel system, and the motor. But after that shakedown phase I would not expect any more problems like this for the next season or two or three. Just the routine stuff than doesn't really need the original dealer.<br /><br />Ask you dealer if this is a reasonable approach. Also ask boaters who keep their boats at that distant lake.<br /><br />Kelly