Suggestions for first fishing sib

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC23

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I’m ready to buy my first sib and need some help deciding which one. I will be using it for freshwater fishing in small lakes in Canada. I live in a condo so I’m not able to trailer it, my wife will never let me out alone so it’ll be 2 people every time, possibly 3 but rare. My coworker also will lend me his 5 hp Honda 4 stroke outboard while I save up to get my own, which I’m leaning towards an 8-9.9 2 stroke if I can find one.

There’s a pretty good deal at a local marina for a new 2014 Mercury 380 HD pvc (new old stock). Would this be good for my needs or should I look for a 10 footer? Thanks for the help in advance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to IBoats,

A 380 size is an excellent starter Sib, will serve you well if plan installing a larger motor, see if can find a 2 stroke Tohatsu 9.8 HP motor. Is the Mercury a Sib an alum or inflatable floor or it's a Rib, weather with a fiberglass or alum hull one ?

Happy Boating

BC23

Recruit
Thanks for the reply Sea Rider! It’s an aluminum floor sib with 1.15mm pvc fabric if I remember correctly. Would the 5 hp outboard from my coworker work with it with 2 people on board? I don’t expect it to plane but hoping that it will be able to move us around to get to a few relatively close fishing spots.

I also plan on getting on the water early morning and I’m considering a NRS super 2 hp manual pump so that it will be quiet. Is it going to take a long time to manually inflate a boat of that size? Are there any quiet electric pumps that wouldn’t wake everyone up? Thanks for the help!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 5 HP motor will only push a 380 Sib size with 2 up at fast displacement speed, which brand motor will be powering it ? So the idea is for your coworker to lend his motor till you can buy one, right ? Check Amazon for Bravo 12 V or 120 volts electric pumps.

Happy Boating

mishagreen

Recruit
Let's assume that you want to use an unregistered kit on the reservoir under a 9.9 HP engine. Four meters of aluminum or plastic boat is the maximum that will "more or less" walk under ten (even, read, fifteen) horses. But in windy weather, and with a good wave further than half a kilometer from the shore on such a boat, it is no longer worth going out. But the RIB 3.80 m is much safer for such weather conditions. Also not a fighter against the elements, - you will be up to your ears in the water and thrills, - but at least you are guaranteed to stay afloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.