Suggestions for a compact Pontoon/deck boat that will fit in garage.

red7

Recruit
Hello, I've been out of boating for years and have never owned a pontoon style boat but we just bought a home in Clearwater Beach, FL and we are wanting something mellow but fun for putting around the intracoastal. We have a 3 and 7 year old so we thought a pontoon boat would be perfect as we wont be doing any water skiing and we will just be going out on calm days in the extensive protected waters up and down the coast. We are wanting to keep this in the garage as it's not something we will use that often and we are very close to the water/boat ramp. Length isn't a problem as our garage is 50+' deep but it needs to fit through the 94" wide and 83" tall single door.

We will get something used to see how much we use it and would like something that doesn't use a ton of gas so that we will be more inclined to go out for a sunset cruise or go to one of the many islands for a picnic. If it could pull our small kids slowly on a tube that's a plus but not a big deal. It would be nice if it could handle up to 5 adults and 2 kids. I'm not sure the difference between a pontoon and deck boat or which one I'm describing so a brief explanation would help.

Thanks!

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Suggestions for a compact Pontoon/deck boat that will fit in garage.

Welcome to iboats.

Most newer toons are 102'' but that is a fairly new development in the last few years so there should be plenty of used boats in your area that are 8'.

The beauty of a toon is there are a hundred different flavors of them with almost any options you can imagine from bathroom to sinks and power from 10 to 350 horse.

I woudl thnk a 22' with a 90 would be about perfect for you, it isn't to big to tow but is large enough to do anything you want and the 90 is a good size engine, it will pull what ever you want and is big enough o get you off the water if the weather changes and I have never heard anyone say ""I wish I had gotten a smaller engine".

Get something with a privacy enclosure, the wife will really appriciate that and a porta potti is almost a necessity with smaller kids, 25'' tubes are reccomended and a tri tube boat is even better.

As for price that varies as much as the options on the boats do and you can go anywhere from 20K to upper 50's for an upscale boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately a 22 foot pontoon will not fit in a garage much less in a garage on a pontoon trailer. I have an 18 footer, 40 HP Suzy and with a removable tongue, you would not get much more in the garage. To clear the door, the trailer needs low profile wheels and tires. Although Misty Harbor is a midwest manufacturers, they offer a number of 8 foot wide 18 footers in various floor plans. That size boat will take a 75 HP motor which is just fine, even for slow/moderate speed towing of water toys.

oldjeep

Admiral

Unfortunately a 22 foot pontoon will not fit in a garage much less in a garage on a pontoon trailer. I have an 18 footer, 40 HP Suzy and with a removable tongue, you would not get much more in the garage. To clear the door, the trailer needs low profile wheels and tires. Although Misty Harbor is a midwest manufacturers, they offer a number of 8 foot wide 18 footers in various floor plans. That size boat will take a 75 HP motor which is just fine, even for slow/moderate speed towing of water toys.

Depends on the garage ;) We keep my dads 21ft fishinbarge in the garage on the trailer in the winter. Just fits through the door width wise (single door). Sissor trailer keeps it low enough to fit heightwise with no problems- a bunk trailer might have issues. And the OP said his garage is 50ft deep. Here's a pic in the garage - we did slide it sideways because there is only a single door and we need to get the sleds in and out in the winter.
PA250002.JPG

Attachments

• PA250002.JPG
    PA250002.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Not to mention a 94 wide door way.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I sure hope the whole garage isn't 94" wide.I would think seriously about a wider door.
It sure would give you a lot more choices in pontoons.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I sure hope the whole garage isn't 94" wide.I would think seriously about a wider door.
It sure would give you a lot more choices in pontoons.

red7

Recruit

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes the door is 94" wide so I'm looking for something up to 7'6" wide. I'm guessing something in the 14-16' length. Thanks!

bcs1313

Recruit

I don't know if you have access to these in Florida, but check out Apex Marine. I am in the process of buying one of their 18-foot Qwest line (I think those go down to 16 feet) but they have a Gillgetter line that's even smaller. And most of their boats are less wide as well.

http://gillgetter.com/Gillgetter.html

They make many of their own components and seem to be great boats.