Suggestion: IR thermometer gun on your exhaust system.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm new the I/B forum. The last seven years were on the outboard side of iBoats. As of 2008, I have a Silverton 34C with twin FWC Crusader 350's. About 1090 hours on the watch.

A suggestion for you DIY folks:

Spring fit out -- did all the stuff you're probably doing now (in NJ, this is an April ritual.) Being new to I/B's I'm trying to outsmart these old engines.

On warming of the engines for oil suck out, I brought a cheap-***** "Harbor Freight" IR thermometer. Note, I professionally have a Fluke version of this tool, but would never bring it to a boat. They agree withing about 1 degree in the 100'F -> 250'F range. Good enough. Cost? $25.

As the engine is idling -- warming the oil, check the left side (2,4,6,8) of a given point on the exhaust system with the corresponding point on the right side (1,3,5,7). I expected a variation of 10'F-15'F. Hell, it's a good way to pass the time, right?

One of the engines would not heat evenly. The left exhaust hose read 160'F. The right side, 110'F. Jerk out the elbow and note the elbow was half clogged with debris. Surprise, surprise.

That $25 IR instrument saved a day or possibly an engine.

I figured I'd share that finding.

jefro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Suggestion: IR thermometer gun on your exhaust system.

That's a great idea! I have one of those instant read's at home and I will try it. I have used thermal imaging camera's for checking breaker panels/electrical networks for area's of high resistance (used to sell them $$), but never thought to use the ir thermometer with an engine.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used an IR thermometer to find a walked-off rocker arm on my Maverick one time. Actually two of them.

Hit the header tubes and noticed a big difference on two of them, and pulled the cover and before it all let loose, I found loose roller rockers and was able to tighten them back down.

Great tool to have around.

Also used it in my house to identify electricity sucking items. Found that my new house had VERY hot lightbulbs, so I swapped them out with floruescent bulbs. 27 of them. 2800 sq ft house in Houston with hot humid climate, and I am paying $72 a month for electricity!

dwco5051

Commander

When I pull any of my trailers long distances I walk around and check all my hubs with my UEI ir thermometer at each fuel stop. Gives me piece of mind that I am not about to lose a wheel bearing or I have a brake dragging.