Suggestion: How 'bout an oil section here?

ZmOz

Captain
I'm sure most of the regulars here notice the exact same oil questions and arguements over, and over, and over, and over, and over. Just a quick look in the outboard non repair section shows at least 25% oil or fuel questions on top. Why not start an oil/grease/fuel forum here? There are so many lubricant topics that relate to boats - 2 stroke oil, crankcase oil, oil injection, gear oil, grease, fuel mix, transfer case/transmission lube, fogging oil, etc, etc, etc. It would help uncrowd some of the other forums, and probably reduce the number of repeated questions and arguements.<br /><br />I can't possibly be the only one tired of seeing the same oil questions posted nearly every day...

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Suggestion: How 'bout an oil section here?

Weve been around about the same amount of time. You have quite few more posts than me but I can tell ya why it won't work. Its cause idiots won't read what is already there and check first before asking. If a person just reads the archives for a while they can find the awnser to most any question they may have. People are too lazy to check first.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, nothing is going to stop them from asking the same question over and over, but wouldn't it be nice if they were all in one area instead of clogging up the repair forums? I think it would reduce the questions somewhat, since it would be much easier for a person to find a particular oil discussion if they don't have to search every section of the board to find it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope, won't work. Just look at all the "discussions" that get heated now.<br />Just think what it would be in a regular oil forum.<br />iboats would need 2 more mods just for it with 2 zap buttons each. IMO.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I think it would reduce the questions somewhat, since it would be much easier for a person to find a particular oil discussion if they don't have to search every section of the board to find it.
It wont work I dont think, Its up to the mods. New people dont even know about the search feature and as we can see, its quite a popular question.<br /><br />What would it be called, TheOilDocs oil questions?<br /><br />Sorry, couldnt resist. :eek: My Bad. :p

ZmOz

Captain

It doesn't have to "work" for anything...it's just another seperation of the forum. Technical questions get moved out of the general outboard section because they clog up that section...the same way the oil questions do. I've already seen a few posts in the last few months with people annoyed about how quickly their questions get buried.<br /><br />Most oil related questions can relate to more than one section of the board, so instead of "what kind of 2 stroke oil should I use" being in the general outboard, mercury, johnson, and yamaha boards, there could just be one thread in the oil section.<br /><br />Just a suggestion...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ZmOz.<br /><br />Have you checked out the Engine FAQs section?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Questions getting buried is not uncommon during the boating season. We (helpers in the repair forums) try to keep up but it's difficult at times. Folks that find there questions buried can always bump them back to the top where they can be seen.

crab bait

Captain

an anyway.. who here among us knows one iuotta about oils..?? :)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

"Lubes, Fluids, and Fistfights"...has a lively ring to it, no?<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br />-dd-

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

those are'nt fights, they're debates, heated maybe at times but they're only debates, that is why this forum is the best ;)

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> ZmOz.<br /><br />Have you checked out the Engine FAQs section?
Certainly, but I'm one of the few. Even if you made a rule that said "no posting of oil questions what so ever!" there would still probably be dozens posted daily. ;) <br /><br />
Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Questions getting buried is not uncommon during the boating season. We (helpers in the repair forums) try to keep up but it's difficult at times.
So wouldn't it be a good idea then to remove ~25% of the questions that are unrelated to repair anyway?

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Could the FAQ section be made to show more prominently? maybe that'll help some :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />Certainly, but I'm one of the few. Even if you made a rule that said "no posting of oil questions what so ever!" there would still probably be dozens posted daily. ;) <br /><br />
Oh come on now OZ we go sometimes weeks without an oil question. :confused: <br /><br />Its been so long sence we had one, that theOilDoc done left the building. :rolleyes:

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />Oh come on now OZ we go sometimes weeks without an oil question. :confused: <br />
Maybe in the dead of winter. Just take a look in the general outboard section - 3 of the top 10 posts are about oil.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"Its been so long sence we had one, that theOilDoc done left the building."<br /><br /><br />Hi LD, Is that a good or bad wish? :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make it Lubes, Fluids, and Sealants and I'll bite. I spent alot of time figuring out what would be comparable to OMC Gasket Sealing Compound (found at least 4 or 5 products) and seem to come up with similar questions about other OMC specialized products that I'd like to find a suitable replacement for that I can get at a local auto parts store (so much more convenient than a trip to marina).<br /><br />Sure the same issue is there for Merc owners as well. That would be a good place to archive that type of information...

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

By LubeDude:<br /><br />What would it be called, TheOilDocs oil questions?<br /><br />Sorry, couldnt resist. :eek: My Bad. :p
By LubeDude:<br /><br />Its been so long sence we had one, that theOilDoc done left the building. :rolleyes:
For some weird reason, this member is infatuated with my presence here at iboats. His comments have a continual connotation of resentment and conjecture toward me. His relentless desire to know my personal identity and whereabouts is quite scary. The behavior pattern is certainly bizarre.<br /><br />I'm an experienced and educated oil professional who's spent a great deal of his life actually testing outboard oils in outboards while working for accredited testing facilities and oil certification laboratories. I've been involved in setting outboard oil testing standards and I've worked closely with other professionals from the NMMA, API, ASTM, and SAE. I grew up wrenching on customer's outboards at my folks' marina, later getting certified as an outboard tech, and then completing a petroleum engineering degree.<br /><br />It is unfortunate for members that my willingness to share my knowledge and help with oil questions is hampered because of one member's contempt. It is quite odd that member LubeDude has taken the opportunity to learn something about oils so personally.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The Oil Doc, good to see you in Dockside chat. Come back some more.<br /><br />You and LubeDude got off on the wrong foot, he thought you were someone else. Just a big misunderstanding. Give him a break on that one, cause the guy he thought you were (forktail was it?) gave him fits.<br /><br />Lubedude is passionate about his hobby, nothing wrong with that. It doesn't help that you two rarely see eye to eye. Lubedude is willing to take more risks, whereas you are more conservative. Those two types will always be in conflict.<br /><br />You guys really need to shake hands as you both obviously share a common interest.<br /><br />Who is going to be the first to put their hand out?<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Good greif.<br /><br />A complete section on that subject should be a branch of the UN. Nobody can agree on anything.<br /><br />Nothing but fist fights.<br /><br />My vote is NOOOOO!