Sudden oil pressure drop

idahoelk

Cadet
Last night running at about 3200 rpm the oil pressure dropped to 0 suddenly. I threw it int neutral and pressure came up to 40 psi let engine come to idle and shut her down. Checked bulge for signs of oil spray bilge was clean. Sat for ten minutes and fired her up kept the engine just above idle while monitoring oil pressure. It stayed between 40-60 for several minutes then dropped rob 0 again. An hour and a half later we loaded it on the trailer after getting a tow from the park rangers.

What would cause the pressure to drop like* this and not be leaking externally?

I rebuilt this engine beginning of the summer (see thread on Siezed 5.7 teardown).

Can I scream yet?

1994 Bluewater Marquee BE
mercruiser 5.7

RiggerMark

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sudden oil pressure drop

good day..... reading your other thread, it seems like you did everything right anuff on your rebuild, as far as priming your oil pump, i believed you said this motor has a few hours on it, should be primed by now :D... i'd have to chase the easy first.... maybe bum/ borrow oil gauge and sending unit... make dern sure that the info your getting a your gauge is correct, seems like the minute a engine went to 0 oil pressure, that it would get noisy quick, when you look in your valve covers, are the rockers wet? hope this ends up easy fix, and you can scream whenever you choose, but it scares the dog....and then ya still gotta break out he tools.....have a good day.........Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does your alarm work, and if it does, did it sound when the oil pressure dropped to zero?
Assuming it does work, and that it didn't sound and that the oil still looks good and there are no signs of damage. I would think the gauge or sender may have failed
Hook up a mechanical gauge and see if you can repeat the problem. (Keep the electric gauge hooked up and compare)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When you had the engine apart did you tack weld or stake the oil pump pickup tube into the oil pump housing. Those tubes have been known to work loose and the pump will suck air. I would assume you checked the oil level before you left the dock and again after the problem surfaced. A spun bearing comes to mind.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The first thing to check is the one that takes the fewest assumptions (simplest explanation). That would be failed gauge. Agree with Don, the first thing to check when you have a problem is to see if you really do have a problem.;)

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The push-on transducer wiring failed in the manner you've described. I replaced it w/ crimped ring tongue terminals, retained w/ nuts and all has been good.

The mechanical gauge was useful during diagnosis.