Submerged waverunner

lkueck

Recruit
I hope someone can answer a few questions for me.

I forgot to put the drain plugs in my waverunner.... after riding it for a few hours I tied it up to the pier, came back 3 hours later and the back end of the craft was submerged.

I got the craft onto a floating pier and drained the water out of it. It cranked so I took it the lauch site and got it on the trailer. While it started it would not accelerate, would stall.

Rinsed the heck out of the engine.........dried it completely. Took it to the dealer the next morning. No water in the engine.......but was told the wiring harness and electronic board had to be replaced.......total cost $3500. The thing brand new, tax, dealer prep, everything was $8500 two months ago (its a Yamaha VX Cruiser).

Questions-
Does what the dealer service guy said sound right?

How can that cost $3500 when brand new it cost $8500.

Aren't these things made to get wet? I understand if you suck water in the engine thats a huge problem but these things are made to ride in surf, routinely the nose of these things dips underwater.........so what happens when it fills with water for a few hours.........does the current from the battery short out circuits are something when it's wet? Please help me understand.

I'm insured but I still want to understand.

Can anyone recommend a good book on how these engines work, how to do maintenance on them, etc.....a book for someone who isn't knowledgable at all about these engines.

Appreciate any insight anyone can provide on this, and yes, I'm an idiot for forgetting the plugs.......don't think I'll ever forget again.

Torino117

Cadet
Re: Submerged waverunner

We also have a VX cruiser. Yes, it does nose dive especially with a full tank. Also for some reason this black rubber piece next to a spark plug pops out sometimes for no reason. We pop it back in and the dealer says its nothing.

I would like to say Jet Ski's are waterproof, that is when some water gets in on the inside and splashes around, but I doubt there is any one that can handle being submerged as the water seeps into every nook and cranny. So the electrical was totaled.

The engine itself is a 4 stroke, and its great since you all you do is annual oil change and put some gas and go, it's a car engine in a jet ski. Not as problem prone as the 2 strokes, which suck gas and break down more often. Of course when a 4 stroke breaks down, it's as expensive as a car engine to fix as well.

Just always remember to do a full sweep before dropping it in the water. And use good amount of silicone spray all over the place

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

get some silicon spray,, remove all the electrical plugs one at a time and saturate the plug and the pin with silicon spray and do no dry them just plug them back in.. go around and try to spray each wire harness conector you can find then see if the ski is ok,, you need to check the oil also to look for white foam on the oil filler cap I would strongly suggest an oil change just to be safe and be sure the air filter element didn't get wet if it did you must replace it

baggersteve

Cadet

Your insurance should take care of it other than the deductible. You have to factor in shop labor rates in the repair, about $125/hr around here.