submerged transducer?

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I keep reading that a t/d needs to be submerged. Is this true? If so, is this what is causing mine to ittermitanly turn off or get no reading? My bildge pumps out to a level that is lower than the puck. Plus what is the best epoxy to use to mount. I want to reapoxy mine but there are a million choices.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: submerged transducer?

There are two different things going on.<br />When a transducer is on the outside of a boat,not only does it have to be submerged,it should also be in a place where there is not a lot of turbulence.When the transducer is in a fiberglass boat,it does not have to be submerged in water because fiberglass has the same density that water has.It should be in full contact with the bottom of the boat.Sure,having water in the boat will give you that full contact.But it should be the epoxy that that does the job.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't want to say for fear of looking stupid but when I looked the other day, my t/d has broken loose from the epoxy and justs sets in the old mold that is left by the epoxt. I picked it up and it is starting to form a very thin layer of slime on the bottom so I will clean it and re epoxy it down.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It just has to have no air (or metal or wood)between the puck and the bottom of the lake - make sure to get all the bubbles out when you mix the epoxy, they'll interfere with the signal. The guy at BPS said to use 30-minute epoxy; 5-minute sets too quick to smooth out all the bubbles.