submerged motor

J-ranger

Cadet
Hi. I am new to the forum. My dad just gave me his 16 foot aluminum fishing boat with a 1975 55hp chrysler outboard. Downtown Houston flooded two years ago and the boat and motor were submerged in fresh water for a few hours. I need to know what precations and steps to take when trying to start it. Thanks. :confused:

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer
Re: submerged motor

It should have been drained and started immediatly, after 2 years I would say you should tear it down, and check the condition inside before starting it.

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the spark plugs and spray WD-40 or seafoam deep creep in the cylinder heads, manually turn the motor over (plugs still out) a few times and spray some more.<br /><br />Drain and replace the oil (greese?) in the lower unit.<br /><br />Pull the float bowl off the carburator and allow it to dry, make sure the plug wires are dry. <br /><br />put it back together and try to start it up....<br /><br />The biggest worry I'd have is water in the crankcase.. How long has it been out of the water?

J-ranger

Cadet

Yep what he said. It came out of the water and we pulled the spark plugs and spryed some wd-40 in it and then didn't touch it for two years. I have already tried turning the crank by hand and it turns no problem. I think I am going to try to clean it up a little change the plugs and oil. Grease everything up and see if it will start. If not I will just do a total teardown and rebuild. How hard is it anyway? Which manual is the best to use for this type of thing? I have done car motors and two stroke dirt bike and four wheeler motors. Is it anything like that? Thanks for the help guys.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ranger, I like the Seloc manual. I also have a Chrysler R&R manual but I like the Seloc better. I just got done starting a motor that hadn't run since '84 . Took a couple of tries but, it finally started and ran for a half hour in a garbage can. Would have gone longer but the neighbors weren't too impressed. Oh, be sure to mix 24-1 gas-oil for the first couple of hours of running. As for carb, disassemble and soak completely. NAPA has carb rebuild kit. You might as well get a fuel pump repair kit while you're there. And you might as well change all your fuel hoses. NAPA has them too.

J-ranger

Cadet

Thanks. I am gonna order the Seloc manual and start working on it.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If i were you i would take that seloc manual and throw it in the garbage. You need to have an original factory manual if you are going to take on a big projet like that, seloc manuals dont cover it all like a factory chrysler manual. I have been working on these engines for 20+yrs.Thanks, bret forceparts@yahoo.com

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I were me, I'd use the Seloc manual. It's much more user friendly than that Chrysler manual written for techies. I know. I got both of them.