Submerged boat, re-start engine?

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
My lil bro ran into a fast moving storm at Lake Powell. His 19 foot boat with inboard- outboard V-8 was submerged for a short time. it happened Friday May 28. he has his boat home and we need to start it back up. what is the best approach?

thanks

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunmerged boat, re-start engine?

not too sure on an i/o but we use to pull the outboards out and remove the plugs and put marvel mystry oil in the cyl. dry off all elect., drain carbs than turn it over without the plugs in then new gas and plugs. you have alittle more to do with the inboard.

ps i did a search and found this

"Disconnect the battery
Pull your plugs and manually turn over the engine to remove the bulk of the water inside the CC if there is any. Then stuff some sort of lint free cloth into the CC with a fine screwdriver to remove the remainder of water if there is any.
Use compressed air to further remove any traces of water from the CC.
Add some oil into the CC after all the water has been remove and turn the engine over again manually to spread the oil around. Leave plugs out at this time.
If the engine has a distributor cap and wires, pull them and blow them out with compressed air to dry them out.
Blow out the coil.
Disconnect and blow out ALL electrical connections under the hood then spray with an aerosol water repellant.....there is way better products on the market then WD-40....go to an electronics store like Radio Shack if you have to.
If the engine is equipped with a carb, pull it and drain the water, throw away the air filter.
Bleed out the gas tank, lines and separator.
If the engine is equipped with fuel injection prime out the fuel system via a good battery and the coil wire removed.
Replace the spark plugs with new ones.
Replace all filters.
Replace all fluids in the lower end.
"

Bifflefan

Commander

Follow the guides above.

change the oil and filter first. then remove the plugs and crank it over to get any water out. shoot some light oil in the cylinders and crank it some more to get it covering the walls. remove the carb and the fuel line from the tank, disassemble and clean the carb reinstall. use a gas can NOT THE TANK to get it started again. you will probably have to change the oil a few times to get all the water out. then completely drain the tank and lines and add new gas and some kind of gas dryer, double or triple the amount on the bottle. then change the oil in the drive.

Dont completely refill the gas tank, use 5 gals or so add the gas dryer and then tow it around the block once to mix it. Id pump it out and look for water, if found start over with the tank and do it again.

The most important part is to get the oil clean first. then the carb and lines. then the tank.

Good luck

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Submerged boat, re-start engine?

thanks, you guys have brought somes steps I have not thought of. he is at home working on it, I will head over with this new info.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Submerged boat, re-start engine?

ok, he just called and said he got it running, I suggested that he take it out for a long ride and heat up the motor and evaporate any excess moisture, any other suggestions as to immediate service issues?