Submarine Option on a Ford.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
So, a few years back, when I used to trust my wife to handle simple driving chores, we were bringing the boat back in from a day on the Coosa River in Alabama. She wanted to help, so I told her that she could pull the truck up to the top of the ramp after I got the boat on right. (this was before the guide posts, and there was a slight cross current at the ramp) So, she starts to pull up, and I tell her to stop and back up because the boat isn't perfect. This ramp is fairly steep, mind you, and so she already had to goose it once to get it moving. So, I get the boat right, and tell her to go ahead and pull up the ramp.

Well....she goes......and she had LEFT IN IN REVERSE!!! :eek:Annnnnndddd.....when it didn't go forward at first, she goosed it...BACKWARDS!!!!!:mad: So, of course I start screaming, she starts screaming, and she hits both pedals.....and goes back further, but slower. She finally gets the brake mashed, but not before backing my fairly new (at the time) F-150 SuperCrew Lariat with leather, sunroof, sound system, etc....into the river with water flowing into the back windows into the cab. This is a steep ramp, so draw a line from the bottom of front bumper to about 4 inches up the C-pillar....THIS is the water line!!!!

Luckily, we had it in 4WD, and I yelled at her to go forward, which she managed to get it in Drive, and going forward before the whole thing sunk. BUT....water got in the back seat and ruined my subs, the boat was attached to the trailer and was a couple lbs of downforce away from becoming an anchor, and everybody sitting on the banks of the river got the best show of their loves that day.

Since then, she don't ask to drive, and I don't ask her. I launch and recover, and she makes lunch. Less headaches that way.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Submarine Option on a Ford.

Jeeez...must be a slow day..or everyone's got the playoff games on and not the 'puter...
You know, every time you think you got them to the point that just backing down the ramp, or maybe power loading the boat while you are in the water ready to snap the hook...along comes a little SURPRISE!! :eek:
Good thing it was a Ford, with good paint sealant and undercoating. You know one of them GM trucks woulda sunk and been rusted in half by now...:p
Let's see if that won't liven up this post a little.....
Personally, I drive a Tundra....;)
Go Gators, Nat'l champs 96, 06, 08!!

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sounds like it could have been a lot worse!

i can tell you how to solve problems like that-----use her truck to pull your boat to the water!:D:D

as for the remark about "ford vs chevy" ..................i have a '00 ford and a '00 chevy................as long as it is a ford,chevy,dodge ill drive it.

i dont care much for the rest :p.

i was going to say as long as it is american made-----but that was a long time ago-------------the "american" companies probably have more factories outside the us than all the others..........its really sad!

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

I actually drive a Nissan Titan now, and won't go to anything else. In fact, I went out and got my wife the Armada. Now, just waiting on Nissan to come out with a 3/4 ton with a diesel so I can trade in for a new one.

84,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and not so much as a hiccup. Can't beat that....

As far as that Ford? At 100,004 miles, it blew the transmission. And after that dip in the river, the electronics were never the same. Doors would lock and unlock at random while driving. Dash info system would black out. Door ajar light would go at random. And the sunroof button was hit or miss to open. Luckily the close side always worked.

But is that's the worst thing my wife does in our marriage, I am set for life. ;)

D

DJ

84,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and not so much as a hiccup. Can't beat that....

As far as that Ford? At 100,004 miles, it blew the transmission. And after that dip in the river, the electronics were never the same. Doors would lock and unlock at random while driving. Dash info system would black out. Door ajar light would go at random. And the sunroof button was hit or miss to open. Luckily the close side always worked.

But is that's the worst thing my wife does in our marriage, I am set for life. ;)

All Fords Fault, as I read this.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep have to agree on that one.

i have to agree on dj's post about the fault being fords.............i have over 120,000 on mine and havent had any probs..............except i had to put in a new motor about 30,000 ago--------rear ended a guy and shoved the motor back like 4"............not to mention hit so solid that it shoved the water pump so deep that the wp in turn shoved the cam shaft out the back of the motor :(.

reelfishin

Captain

I have a buddy with a Titan, he got it back in 03 or 04, it's been a decent truck as far as breakdowns, but he went through some issues when it was new, but they finally replaced the engine. He's was wishing he bought something else when the gas shot up though, he complains he can't get better than 13 per gallon out of it.

I've had nearly all Fords my whole life, with the exception of three dodge vans, and two Chevy trucks, and one Toyota. The Dodge vans were fine, a few rust issues and a couple transmissions that failed earlier than I'd have liked but nothing really out of the ordinary. One Chevy was pure junk, I traded it in 6 months, the other was OK and good on fuel but it had a lot of minor issues, wipers, alternator, water pump, etc at low miles, so I sold it early.
I had a Toyota which was a nightmare, three transmissions, two tranfercases, and finally a motor all within 12,000 miles. Plus ball joints at 17,000, a drivers seat frame at 20,000, a water pump again at 22,000, the dash top cracked at 23,000, the odometer quit at 23,500, and the AC compressor blew apart 4 times within the first year. I got lucky and it got totaled. I bought a Ranger to replace it, which went 100,000 with only having to replace a clutch master cylinder. I bought another Ranger soon after which I still own today, 122,000 and still going strong.

I've owned dozens of F150s all went well over 100,000 miles, none had any serious issues. I haven't been able to convince myself though that a new truck is worth the $23,000+ they want today for one. Especially since my old truck still does just fine. I also still own one Dodge, with the only issue being the transmission, which seems to fail every 80,000, and the issue of the intake plenum gaskets failing every 50k or so. I don't use that truck that often these days, mostly due to the fact that it can't break 13mpg but it is a one ton truck.
The Ranger rarely dips below 20 mpg even when towing.

None have ever been used as submarines though, I don't think anyone makes a truck that would survive that without some issues.

I did own a 1994 Cougar that had been sunk in a flood, other than some relay issues and an eventual corroded wiring harness in the floor it was a good car for the $400 auction price I paid when it was 6 months old. A few days worth of drying and replacing minor electrical parts and some soldering and splicing corroded connections in the floor run wiring harness, and it was fine. It's current owner is still driving it. I kept it for a year before selling it myself.

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

nissan is dropping big trucks.are going to be buying rebadged dodges.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

nissan is dropping big trucks.are going to be buying rebadged dodges.

I heard that last week from my friend that works at Nissan. I will offer any amount of money for the last Titan off the Nissan assembly line. Once the UAW gets their hands on them, they will be WORTHLESS! :mad::mad::mad:

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to drive a '94 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4 modded with a Small Block 350.
That things was a tow vehicle. Put, 350k miles on the body and 150k on the motor. The only reason I lost it was a drunk driver hit me head one night on my way home from work.
I would take it over my Explorer any day. The overall feel and driving of it was completely different than Ford. But, I have yet to and dont plan on ever buying a Japanese manufactured vehicle. (Although, I have heard many bad stories about the Honda Ridgeline, unless someone can prove me wrong.)