Stupid varmints . .need wiring help

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rented a waterfront cabin for the week, so it is the first time my trailer queen boat has sat in the water. Day 1, all was fine. Day 2, the fish finder is reading all sorts of goofy stuff and the speedo doesn't work.
Pull the boat out and it appears some muskrats chewed off both my speedo cable and my fish finder cable.
I have the pitot tube type speedo and a brand new Humminbird FF.

Can I splice in new wire or do I have to hire someone to re-pull everything?
Any thoughts on a plan of attack?

Thanks

My transducer looks like this
710198.gif

and it is chewed off right at the base. Do I have to replace the whole transducer?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Stupid varmints . .need wiring help

I'm no expert but it sounds like you need a new transducer with cable. Being "chewed" off right at the base would make any splicing work difficult if not impossible. Just my 2 cents.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with Tyme2fish. I think that as the wiring enters the transducer housing, it is all encased in epoxy for waterproofing and probably shock resistance too. Sounds like an insurance claim to me. You DO have insurance, don't you?

Wayne

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Mid cable? Splice wouldn't be a problem. Base? $$$, meaning ding, ding, ding...

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to agree with Tyme2fish. I think that as the wiring enters the transducer housing, it is all encased in epoxy for waterproofing and probably shock resistance too. Sounds like an insurance claim to me. You DO have insurance, don't you?

Wayne

Yep, I have insurance . . gotta check the deductible though.
I found a new transducer at Cabelas for $60 with cable, but not sure I can do the work.
I suppose I have to run a new tube for the speedo as well:(

Tyme2fish

Commander

Re-run the transducer cable.

You might be able to tape the dash mount end of the new cable to the chewed off end. Then gently pull the cable thru the boat. That's worked for me in similar situations in the past. Naturally you'll have to take off any clamps or tie downs you see at the transom that may hold your old cable.

Just overlap the two cable ends a couple of inches and tape the heck out of it and pull thru.

PS: I am not liable for any mistakes you might make with my method. :eek: