Stupid timing question

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am checking the timing on my 77 85HP for the first time. When I move the timing advance lever aft the timing moves closer to TDC when I move it fwd it moves away from TDC.<br /><br />I guess I just had it in my head that when the lever moves fwd it advances the timing.<br /><br />Am I correct in what I am seeing.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stupid timing question

You are correct in what your seeing Mark. The engines are timed to a certain degree before TDC. Advancing the timing means firing before top dead center. Retarding the timing means the opposite.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks OBJ,<br /><br />So....When you pull the lever to the stop you are making sure it is at its fully retarded position not advanced. Correct?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

when you move the throttle lever top fwd, the trigger plate rotates ccw giving an advance in ign timing cause the flywheel is turning cw. most, not all , have a stopper to control wot advance as well as a throttle stop. also quite a bit of motors actually idle some degrees ATDC. I would reccomend indexing the flywheel to insure the marks actaully agree with where the piston is. but dont forget that timing may show up on either side of the TDC mark depending on the engine. I dont have your idle, pickup and WOT specs in front of me.