Stupid statements from famous people

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff." --Mariah Carey<br /><br />"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life," --Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.<br /><br />"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body," --Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.<br /><br />"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.<br /><br />"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." --Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents.<br /><br />"Half this game is ninety percent mental." --Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark<br /><br />"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." --Al Gore, Vice President<br /><br />"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix." --Dan Quayle<br /><br />"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." --Bill Clinton, President<br /><br />"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur." --Al Gore, VP<br /><br />"Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas."--Keppel Enderbery<br /><br />"Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances."--Department of Social Services, Greenville, South<br />Carolina

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stupid statements from famous people

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> <br />"Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas."--Keppel Enderbery<br />
Gee, I live here and, given we're an island, that's something I'd never have guessed. <br /><br />Are you sure this thread shouldn't be titled "Famous statements by stupid people"

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Ah, yes. I love those.<br /><br />But let's not leave out our current national brain-trust.<br /><br />"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, <br />but for predecessors as well." - Dubya<br /><br />"I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure." - Dubya<br /><br />"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." - Dubya

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Rush Limbaugh......" Wait after the war, gasoline prices will be at $1.00 a gallon"

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Ah, yes. I love those.<br /><br />But let's not leave out our current national brain-trust.<br /><br />"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, <br />but for predecessors as well." - Dubya<br /><br />"I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure." - Dubya<br /><br />"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." - Dubya
You can't begin to imagine how much confidence these sorts of comments inspire in those of us who didn't have a chance to vote for the leader who might well have the greatest impact on the world the rest of us, and our children, have to live in. <br /><br />Where's that picture of Dubya looking through the wrong end of the binoculars?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

And then there's this gem:<br /><br />"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unkowns. That is to say, there are things we know we don't know. But, there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know."- Donald Rumsfield<br /><br />Makes perfect sense if you stick with it to the end.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> ...<br />"Half this game is ninety percent mental." --Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark<br />...
Credit where credit is due: this one is actually credited to Yogi Berra. I've seen it quoted as above, and as follows <br />"90% of the game is half mental."<br /><br />Not sure which is correct, but would bet that Yogi said it first. <br /><br />He's also credited with the following:<br />"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."<br /><br />Methinks we could have entire threads dedicated to each of Yogi, Casey Stengal, and Dubya....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bad thing is Dubya is an ivy leage yankee with degrees from harvard and yale.<br />the texican thing is an act

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

How about that spinach eatin, non-commitin' mumbler Popeye..."I yam what I yam".

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

and that's all what I yam! Now, where's me Poopdeck Pappy?

Stratosfied

Ensign

Yeah, but it beats speaking German, or Japanese, or Muslem.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Here's another classic:<br /><br />
Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> Yeah, but it beats speaking German, or Japanese, or Muslem.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

WBW, I squished Pappy like a bug and toss'd 'em to da sharks...yarrr

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well it maybe time to learn espanol and chinese :)

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I heard Rumsfeld say in responce to a question about intellgence procedures "intellgent work isn't my specialty"<br />Made me chuckle, but I am smart enough to view it in context at least.

Twidget

Commander

<br />Where's that picture of Dubya looking through the wrong end of the binoculars?
Probably archived next to the one with Clinton looking through a set with the caps on. :) Isnt it nuts when they mess up a photo op?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> well it maybe time to learn espanol and chinese :)
What for, I can say Taco, Burrito, and no espanol. Oh yes, I know all the names too, Jose, Pedro, Maria, Jesus. So I think I am ready. Who is the Chinese leader? Hung To Lo