Stupid question…… garboard drain plug size

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Simple, but stupid question….. what size pipe plug are the screw in garboard drain plugs usually….. new boat doesn’t have one with it, Wally World doesn’t stock them here, and I’ll be damned if I drive 100 miles to get one from Bass Pro…. I have an Ace hardware right down the street, and IIRC a brass pipe plug is the same thing. Anyone know what size they are, 1/2 or 3/8 NPT?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Bronze from hardware store. No need to put any sealer on it or crank it so tight you need a muscle man to get it out! Snug is good.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with all pipe threads 2FFT

2 Flats past Finger Tight

airshot

Rear Admiral
In my younger days when these types of plugs were more popular, we added a " handle" of some sort to help with tightening or loosening. Often drilled a small hole thru the raised hex and slipped a pin thru for extra grip. In a couple of my old leaky row boats you need to get that plug in or out quickly !

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOwes or H D plumbing section. Buy the 1/2" and a small roll of Teflon tape to wrap around the threads. About 5 wind arounds will seal with a snug pull of about 5 pounds on a 1' wrench. It will not slip out.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No need for the teflon tape. It's a tapered pipe thread. Snug it up and go boating. I see so many with teflon, sure they don't leak. I've seen many wit no tape, they don't leak either. If it does, it may have been overtightend over the years and wore out. Seen a few where the head of the plug is recessed into the drain fitting. Way to tight!