Stupid Puter.....It Ain't the Operator.....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Have suffered a serious colapse of the system....I'm on she herselfs machine.....had to go onto MSN site and download the boot discs. Still zippo. Was able to get into the file directory....ugly. Hardly anything left of the operating directory....lottsa 0's.<br /><br />Really bummin' right now. All my stuff is on there. If I reload the XP, I lose it all. Crap!! Time for longnecks.......well.....can't hurt.... :D But, help may be on the horizon.....got a bud (that's a friend type bud....not longneck) that's a guru with this stuff. Supposed to come over and take a look. Wish me luck......or more Buds...whatever comes first....... :D

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Stupid Puter.....It Ain't the Operator.....

Sorry to hear it OBJ...It's 5 O'clock somewhere.. :)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I have an idea, but don't know if it will work. Maybe someone else who knoes more can give this a yea or a nay...<br /><br />Get your hands on some partitioning software, like Partition Magic. You should be able to create a new partition with the unused portion of your hard drive. Then set the new partition to be the active partition and install the operating system there, while the old OS and all your data is still on the inactive partition. Then install your CD burner software. If all this works up to this point, you would then be able to explore the directories and find all your data. I would burn it all onto a CD, but you could just move it all into the directories of your new partition. If I was doing this, I would burn it all to a CD as soon as I could get to it...that's why I suggested installing the CD burner software. If you don't have a CD burner yet, here's a good excuse to go buy one.<br /><br />If I was doing this, I would then reformat the entire thing and start fresh, but some might say I am just anal---I wouldn't argue with that. But I have been using partitions for years and I keep my ALL my data on the non-OS partition, and back it up to a CD once in a while, just in case something happens (like what happened to you). <br /><br />I have an older version of Partiotion Magic (5.0) on a floppy that's bootable. I think that's what you'll need. I think the newer versions of PM are not bootable, but I'm not positive.<br /><br />I hope this is all possible and is successful for you!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

ah sorry to hear that, but thats what you get for buying a PC and being like the millions of people that always have problems with their systems. :p other than that i cant really help ya cause i own a MAC and never have problems with system "bill gates" junk on my comp. Good luck and cheers.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thro the hd in the wife's puter and access/copy your files.<br />Then reformat the drive.<br />re-assemble your puter and install "shutters" or "shudders", (windows).<br />Use it till it happens again.<br />Buy another pc, repeat, lather rinse repeat, lather rinse repeat.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

If you have the full XP install CD, you should be able to reload XP into a directory different from Windows, i.e. Windows2.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I'll givem' all a try.....soon as all the outlaws leave.....<br /><br />roscoe...was that repeat, lather rinse repeat or repeat longneck, rinse longneck, repeat , lather longneck repeat, longneck longneck lather longneck repeat longneck longneck longneck????? Wanna' be sure I git it right......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just kep doein wat yer doin therr obee jay i tink yus allmosetd thr fhsu yf hdghs yhuvshkbn zvbn. Me too.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey OBJ,<br /><br />To retrieve your stuff, just take your hardrive and plug it into her computer. burn your stuff to CD or a thumb drive, then put it back in your machine and start again. You do regular backups, right?<br /><br />Chris........<br /><br />EDIT : Sorry, didn't see roscoe's reply earlier.

Mod4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moved to non-boating technical.