stupid problem dumb question

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 78 6hp evinrude and when i first aquired it it had no spark. I unhooked one leg of the stop switch and bam it fired right up. Runs perfect but I cannot figure out my issue. The lill switch ohms out just fine. But if I touch the unhooked leg while its running it will stop it. I have checked out some wiring also and I dont see anything weird. Any suggestions. I am baffled on such a simple stupid problem. Thanks guys. Mettyfish

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: stupid problem dumb question

The switch is probably bad. Mine did the same thing, exactly. The switch tested fine, but when the wire was connected the engine wouldn't start. I can't explain it, but a new switch solved the problem instantly. It was weird, but it's fixed now.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

OMG, I haven't seen a post from CATransplant in a year, all well?

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone know where I might find a used one. Or a cheap new one. I don't feel like spending the big bucks they want for a stop button. Also can the pin be pulled out of the connector. Then I would not have to splice the wire. Thanks to all and especially BKtheKING who told me to pull the stop button wire before I went out and bought powerpacks and coils. HEHE And a huge thanks to Iboats and all on here. Mettyfish