Stupid mistake - F40 Yamaha

mallardjusted

Seaman
I decided to change the oil on my 2000 Yamaha 4-stroke outboard. If I had read the manual I would have known where the oil drain was, but I thought I was smart by siphoning the oil out of the dipstick/oil add opening. I used a turkey baster with a 5" clear, soft plastic tubing extension. So far, so good. Then the stupid thing happened - the tubing extension slipped right into the hole!!!! It's impossible to see or fish out!<br /><br />So .... (now that I've gotten past the embarassing part) .... will this hurt the motor to leave it in there, or do I need to do a complete disassembly to get the tubing out?<br /><br />I would suspect there would be something (screen, strainer, ??) to separate it from moving parts, but I'm not sure (from the first part of this note you can tell I'm not an expert!!!). If it actually did end up in moving parts, wouldn't the worst that can happen restrict the oil pump, which of course would shut down automatically due to restricted flow (I know this part works, as I have had this experience in extremeley cold weather. That's why I now use a synthetic oil, but that's another story ....).<br /><br />I guess life would be pretty boring if we didn't have challenges like this! Any insight on whether to leave it or not?<br /><br /> Matt

Trent

Captain
Re: Stupid mistake - F40 Yamaha

You already know the answer to this question. You have to get it out of there. No screen is their.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> no worries. there is a nice strainer, will take several hours by a trained tech to acess the oilsump. were it mine I would not sweat it but I would use a spring jaw type parts retriver to go down the hole and attempt to grab it. the only concern is is the tube going to deteriorate with time and feed debris to the pump.

Trent

Captain

Rodbolt... I looked at the parts diagram and did not see it..Are you shure Its their?? I could be wrong? But Id get it out.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

its definately there trent. i had a few camp motors apart this winter. if it is a concern to you matt and the springy grab jaws dont work, its not a long job to lift the powerhead. only a gasket or 2 to replace on the way.

mallardjusted

Seaman

BenC and rodbolt,<br /><br />Thank you for the information. That certainly makes me feel better about it.<br /><br />The springy grab jaws don't work, so at least I know I shouldn't have to rush to get it out. My son-in-law is a polymers scientist, so I think I will give him a sample of the tubing to see what kind of lifespan there would be on it under the different temperature variations it would see. That would help me decide on when to take apart the powerhead.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do it before corrosion locks up all the bolts :) :)

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Could you use a long screw that would be JUST snug for the inside of the suction tube to get it out? If you could get a thread or two in it it seem like you could pull it out.

mallardjusted

Seaman

Harker,<br />I have looked several times and I cannot see it in there. I might give it one last shot by draining the oil and trying to see in there again to try something like you suggest. The opening is not very big, though, and the tubing is probably about 2/3 of the diameter of the hole, and about 5" long. Now if I had one of those fancy medical light/tools, then I'd be on to something!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do you have one of them long spring looking spring loaded claw devices? they have a button on the top that when depressed it opens 4 jaws and is flexible and is about 2ft long about 2.50 at ace hardware. its only about 5/16ths of an inch in diameter. and its long enough to reach the bottom of the sump.

mallardjusted

Seaman

Rodbolt,<br /><br />The device I have is older and a little bigger in diameter. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll take a look. Seeing down into the hole is still an issue, but it's certainly worth a try. I may be selling this motor (it is a manual start and I'm having rotator cuff problems - I may post a different thread on potentially adding a starter vs a new motor), so I'm going to try to take care of the issue before I do that. Thanks for your help.

yockman

Cadet

There are some very nifty and cheap little lights abit tlike the medical ones, that plug into the usb port of your computer - if you've got a laptop and one of these, you may be able to see in there. <br />Good luck,<br />Yockman