Stupid driving mistake on my part

11 footer

Lieutenant
Although I haven't been driving very long (I'm 16) I consider myself to be a pretty good driver, I pull a landscaping trailer all over three days a week, pull boats around on weekends, and just pretty much never have had a prolbem. I'm the first one to get pissed when someone is driving distracted on the phone or somthing and causing a traffic jam, but today I messed up by getting distracted. <br /><br />I was right up the street from my house, on a small 25mph road. I left the house in a hurry, I had to go meet someone, but had to get gas first and was running late. I had a bunch of change at the botton of my cupholder, with a can of soda on top of it, the can was ratteling on top of the quarters, getting anoying. While I'm driving along, at maybe about 30mph I look down to move the change out of the cup holder, holding the can in one hand, then all the sudden my phone rings, now I'm fumbeling around for that, I look up all the sudded and "oh !@#$" the roads turning and I'm not! I turn to the left in time to keep me from going over the curb, but smash my passenger side mirror on a mail box. Wow, that was stupid!! I couldn't bleave I did it, what if there was a kid in the driveway or something :eek: It was the mirror on my bronco vs' one of those thin metal mailboxs, my mirror won :p <br /><br />So this is my public confession, I get distracted too, and I'll pay more attention, and realize I'm not so much better then everyone else to doing three things at once while driving ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Stupid driving mistake on my part

Realizing the problem is half the battle.<br /><br />If I cant get to the phone easily or if its a difficult section of road, I just let it ring.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Ryan T.:<br /> and realize I'm not so much better then everyone else to doing three things at once while driving ;)
If you've come to that realisation at age 16 then yes, you are ahead of the majority (that's a good thing :) ).<br /><br />You want to take this lesson one step further? What if it wasn't a letterbox? :(

LubeDude

Admiral

Ill tell ya what, Many things like that have killed inocent people. I was spared just last week when I did something dumb. When it happens, you just thank God knowone was coming at that time, learn from it and go on. It happens to us all occationaly.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

So did you make good on the damaged mailbox or just drive away?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ryan, you were lucky it wasn't worse. Years ago I changed an 8 track tape while driving. Glanced down to change it. Looked back up and see the rear end of a car about 5' in front of me. I nailed the brakes, but too late. I rear ended the lady in front of me. She was 8 months pregnant, broke her seat mounts loose, and that made me a nervious wreck. Didn't have insurance and that was even the bigger mistake. Took me about 6 years to finally pay off the ladies insurance company. Plus I got a fine for failure to stop within assured clear distance. That moment stays with me every time I'm on the road. <br /><br />All it takes is a split second with your eyes off the road and your done.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

Very lucky im glad your ok and you understand that what you were doing could in fact Distroy your life or someone elses. Good luck to you and be carefull. Braxton

oddjob

Commander

Yeah Ryan, our culture with the cell phones lately is that the cell phone is more important than the life we are living at the moment. Alot of folks will scold you when you dont answer or answer right away. I find some individuals will want ot know why and will become offended. <br /><br />People think because you have a cell phone that they should be able to access to you 24/7.....resist this new culture Ryan. <br /><br />I hope you went back and replaced or settled up with the mail box.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with oj on the cell phone thing. I no longer answer unless I can pull safely pull over.<br /><br />Last ticket I got, several years ago, was for speeding in WY on the freeway; was on the phone and didn't see the change in speed. I'm usually very observant as I drive: decided it wasn't worth the risk. Besides there is voice mail and it's easy too call back.<br /><br />Ryan, at 16 lessons like this help get you get safely to old age; where ever that is!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As you get older, you get to be more observant.<br />TBH, I have not seen a good driver at the age of 16.<br />They have too many other things on their mind at that age.<br /><br />I have been lucky so far. <br />In my 52 years, I have never had an accident, not even a fender bender or mailbox issue.<br />I have 2 1 milion mile safe driving awards from the ATA to back that up.<br /><br />Just think and be more careful when you are driving and you will be ok.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Good advice SBN. I've driven a truck for 37 years with no accident.Luck is a big part of it but defensive driving is the other part. Sounds like your on the right course Ryan, :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I had a guy run into the back of another car when I was walking down the street one day, just cause he was looking. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Keep your eyes on the road Ryan. ;) :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I'm glad your safe and it was a cheap price for a valuable lesson.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I had a guy run into the back of another car when I was walking down the street one day, just cause he was looking. :rolleyes: <br /><br />
:) You braggin a little this morning LF? :p <br /><br /> :eek: :eek: MrLadyfish: You lucky devil you! :eek: :eek:

NYMINUTE

Captain

16....its all about error. Get em done young.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />
<br /><br />
:) You braggin a little this morning LF? :p [/QB]
Not braggin at all LD, just pointing out that men do stupid things from time to time. :p ;) :D

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not braggin at all LD, just pointing out that men do stupid things from time to time.
Yeah we do...something about a pretty lady does that to us.....Now, if only you ladies wouldn't talk on the cell, drink your morning coffee, and put your makeup on looking in the rear view mirror while driving...... :D

brother chris

Commander

good to see you did not blame it on other issues, like some people do. <br />Good on ya for realizing that it could have been worse and that you are going to be more careful. <br />I've done some pretty stupid things like that before too.

SoulWinner

Commander

Ryan, I have been in several crashes that should have killed me, and driven out several situationas that also should have have killed me. I am glad you survived this and hope you learned. My parents should have buried me long ago.

D

DJ

Ryan,<br /><br />You've got this all wrong. YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME. You had better assign a blame soon. ;) <br /><br />I'm sort of like SBN. Never ticketed, never pulled over in 30+ years.<br /><br />I've had some accidents, but others and animals ran into me. :rolleyes: