Stupid Basic Boat Engine questions...

sincraft

Seaman
I have a few questions I was wondering if people could answer - as I know nothing about this stuff. I bought a boat, know noone that owns one, and dont have many places to visit that sell them (new that is). I used the boat for about 3 years then let it sit for many years...<br /><br />The boat engine never ran so great, and I am going to attempt to get her started but want to do so on dry land instead of sitting on a lake in front of people watching me pull on my engine for 2 hours lol...is there a way? It's a 9.9 Mercury Outboard.<br /><br />This engine has 3 positions.. What are they for and what do they do (other than pulling it out of the water for trailering on the highest setting)?<br /><br />(here's a real dumb one) - I had my engine clips attached to a battery, but seeing as it is a pull start, I can't figure out why this is. The battery was for lights, bilge etc..but can't remember if it was necessary to have the battery for the engine to start on a pull start.<br /><br /><br />What is the best way to 'tune up' an engine, and can a complete newbie take an engine apart and 'rebuild' it to get the running and speed performance it deserves? Keep in mind that I have never had a problem taking something apart and putting it back together without any prior knowledge to how or why things worked less some research. I am a reverse engineering expert so to speak so ...what do you think? How about just 'tuning' it up?<br /><br />On the back of my transom, on a 1969 boat that was neglected, there are indentations from the engine turn dials pushing into all those years and riding along on bumpy roads etc...should I strap a piece of ply on each side for reinforcement? The transom 'seems' ok - I did a rubber mallet test that someone else told me to do to test the viability of this transom...I am also going to drill some inspection holes to be sure... <br /><br /><br />Hmm what else - OH yea - is there a way to get more speed out of a boat by using a different prop? Also what happens if a prop gets 'dinged'..I heard somewhere that this can throw the shaft of the engine into a wacky situation so it's important to grind down and balance props after every even minor ding if I plan on running long distances with the engine as this may warp or damage the 'rods' inside the shaft???? <br /><br />Ok that's about it...I leave it to the real experts here to input on... <br />THANKS!!!!<br /><br />S

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stupid Basic Boat Engine questions...

First of all you need to identify what year your outboard is, so could you post a serial number or model #. The first thing I would do is a compression test, if that checks out good then get the proper manual for your motor, It is not all that hard to rebuild outboards but you would need a manual. Chances are it may just need tuned up. You will need to change impeller and t- stat in motor also.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 9.9 that I run in a bucket of water in the driveway. Make sure the water intakes are underwater and keep the hose handy to top off the bucket and keep the water cool.

sincraft

Seaman

Thanks - I posted for an ident on the motor but someone replied with it's a 1988 which I thought it was much older to be honest. If I recall, before these forums were up a few years back, I contacted someone at Iboats that identified it in the early 80s - but I lost the data :( <br /><br />HOw do you do a compression test? take it to the marina and have them do it?<br /><br />Yea I was going to put it in a big garbage can - but I am afraid to have that oily water going back into the intake - is that bad? <br /><br />S

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Based on the serial number you provided, it is a 1988 9.9 HP motor.<br /><br />A compression test is accomplihsed easily by removing the spark plugs and grounding them (or enabling the kill switch). By cranking the engine over a few revolutions you can read the maximum pressure obtained for each cylinder. You need a compression tester threaded in the spark plug hole to accomplish that. Most autoparts stores have inexpensive compression test kits.<br /><br />Running the motor on a garden hose with muffs is an option. Running it in a clean can works just fine as well. I wouldn't be too concerned about the oily residue recirculating through the motor. Just make sure the can is free of debris.

sincraft

Seaman

hey thanks. 1988 hmmmmmmmmmmmm I REALLY thought it was older. That's a good thing I guess :) <br />Now - what should the compression be - I guess that's the biggest question right?<br /><br />Also - I hate to post another thread to ask ANOTHER question, but I wanted to know more about my boat and looked on the back and found it to be an EXPLORER TR-15 (starcraft 1969). I am not sure if any of you know this, but there is a game out there called starcraft and of course with internet explorer having the name explorer in it - all I find is information related to those two things on the net...it's an old boat so I am not sure if there is any info on it at all unless someone else had one. I WOULD LOVE to find someone else with the same boat and see pictures of it if they have it still running. Mine looks like a big green bathtub when it's in the water, it's great :) <br /><br />Anyway - thanks - I will probably grab a compression tester and use the garbage can trick.<br /><br />I have 'ears' that I bought long ago because I wanted to 'tune up' the engine - but my intake is at the bottom of the engine near the prop..so the ears wouldnt work for my engine right?<br /><br />Ok gents...thanks again..<br /><br />S

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The wires going to the battery may be for a charging system. It likely has a voltage regular, and a two wire harness to charge your accessory battery. Don't try to connect or disconnect the battery when the motor is running. Make all battery connections with the motor off. The motor electronics are very sensitive.<br /><br />Compression values aren't as important as the consistency between the 2 cylinders. You'd like them both to be the same, within 10% of each other or better.<br /><br />Clean out & re-adjust the carbs, throw in some new fuel, fuel filter, and a new water pump impeller. I'd bet you'll be good to go.<br /><br />Get a factory service manual. It will save you a lot of time and money in the end.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Mine is a 1984 and has the bottom intake like yours, it will run in a 5 gal bucket. If you put it in gear for just a second it will throw all of the water straight up out of the pail. LOL! Just ask me! Make sure there is a good thermostat in there too.

sincraft

Seaman

Any idea where I could get a factory service manual? I'm clueless...thanks.<br /><br />5 gallon bucket Calico? Wow - I guess I won't be reving it up too much, but I did want to spray some cleaner in etc etc and you should do that at medium at least. <br /><br />I guess I want to be sure the engine is running so that I can sink more money into the old bucket that is in desperate need of repairs - and since the engine is the most expensive piece of the boat, I figured I should verify it's going to work properly. <br /><br />Just saw where you two are posting from. Canada and Wisconsin (little Canada) - I guess you guys probably know a bit about boats hehe. I was up near Heartland a few years back and was amazed at how many beautiful lakes there were up there, and how the houses there were built around the trees or they planted them (newer ones had obviously worked around them) - around here, we bulldoze EVERY living thing and put houses up, it's disguisting...great place to live if it only got a couple more months of summer...<br />I don't have too far to adjust if I really wanted to - I live in Pittsburgh...brrrr..<br /><br />S

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Factory book is the best, but any service manual is a lot better than none. The library is a good place to get use of manuals (usually not factory) for free. And I don't think you should drill holes in the transom, if it is not rotted you will be making places for water intrusion unless you seal it correctly. Good Luck, Joe

sincraft

Seaman

What if my drain tube area has a pound of epoxy smashed around it and has a big crack through the entire thing - that is the only place I can think water may have gotten in other than the nuts and bolts where accessories attach too. How does one tell other than inspecting? I fear doing this as it's 2 iches thick alomst and that's alot of repairing to do - I guess I could start by repairing the drain tube area to get a feel for how it's done but then again why do that if I need to replace the entire transom..<br /><br />argh what to do what to do! :( <br /><br />Ok - I'll check for a book on my engine...I would like to work on this thing asap so I know where I stand in the mix of things ehhe. Wish me luck.<br /><br />S

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Sincraft - get the factory service manual if you're interested in doing maintenance and repair yourself. Get an original "owner's manual" for basic info on how to operate the engine. I strongly recommend that. It should be available through any company that sells the factory service manual for your engine. Also, get a book on basic outboard principles and repair from a library or book store also. The one I have, which I recommend is "Outboard Engines" by, I believe Sherman (Shermin?) <br /><br />The factory service manual is really set up for mechanics who know what's wrong and what to fix, and pretty much only need to know exactly how that particular engine is designed - so they can dismantle and reassemble properly. The owner's manual is for people like you and me who also need to know simply what is what on the motor and how to operate it, including owner maintenance and adjustment. The other book I recommended will teach you how an outboard works and how to trouble shoot issues (which you would then solve using the factory service manual). I've found it very interesting to read.