stumped!

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Johnson 150. The motor is running very rough. In regard to checking the coils, I ohmed all six with the wires disconnected one at a time and one of the six ohmed differently. Is this and acceptable way to do this task? Please help!

petryshyn

Commander
Re: stumped!

It can be a logically way of doing a comparison test. Did you check for the absense of spark on that plug wire? How much different were the readings?

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. The coil when ohmed across the two post ohms open. Where as all five other coils ohm across the two post 246 ohms. I checked for spark on the subject coil and did have spark, however it appeared less then one of the other coils that I checked. The main issue is when I first start out in the water the motor runs very rough and sometimes after 5-10 minutes the problems goes away and will not return until I let the motor sit for at least 12 hours. Lately, the problem has bacame worse. What is the small device with two wires that has a fuel line connected to it? Thanks for any help.

G DANE

Commander

Greg<br /><br />The small device is a primer solenoid instead og traditional choke. Injects a little fuel when you press ignition key in.

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. But now I am really confused! I was reading in my manual and decided to do a resistance check on my Sensor Coil. I disconnected the four wire plug between the power pack and the sensor coil. Ohmed from "D" to "A", "D" to "B" and "D" to "C" and all measurements showed an open condition. Is it even possible for my motor to run if the Sensor Coil is bad? Am I doing this correctly? Could one of my ign. coils and the Sensor Coil both be bad? Remember the motor runs, but very rough. Does idle fairly well. Thanks.

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

OK. Correction. I tryed some different meter leads and did the did the resistance check on the sensor coil (other lead must not have been making connection). The reading were actually about 1.7M Ohms. My manual says the readings should be 17 =/- 5 Ohms. Any comments?

rwise

Captain

Greg<br />If you were touching the contacts on the meter leads that could be your reading through your body. Make sure you are not touching the metal contact portion of the leads.<br />Richard

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the coil and same problem. Is it possible for my motor to run with a bad sensor coil? Could this be my probem? I performed a search on for sensor coil and read some of the previous discussion and saw some discussion about a wiggle test... Could I have a intermittent connection under the fly wheel? My problem always goes away after I run the motor for about 10 to 15 minutes. Problem will not occur again until next time out (after motor has sit a few days).