Stumped on a fuel gauge problem

spocter72

Cadet
Hello All;

I have been having an issue with my fuel gauge. When the tank is empty, it reads 1/4 tank.I thought it was the sending unit, so I replaced it with a new one. The same problem exists. Here is what I've done so far. I have the sending unit out of tank and move the arm.Gauge goes from 1/4 to full and back as many times as I do it. Next I connect pink to black from sending unit and gauge pegs to full until I release the connection and goes to empty. I then replaced pink wire from sender with a jumper to gauge and connect ground directly from battery negative to sending unit, then work sending unit.Gauge goes from 1/4 to full and back. I then replaced power wire from gauge to positive on battery and still goes from 1/4 to full and back.Now I am really stumped. Ohms on new sending unit are 30 to 240.I have tested everything the most ways I know.Bottom dollar is that when I short the wires, gauge works as supposed to, but when its hooked up to the sending unit,(either one) no go. Oh yeah, the gauge is 12 volt and so is the system. Would anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance

Re: Stumped on a fuel gauge problem

if you have a multi meter set it to ohms ground one side of the pink wire to a good ground and connect the multi meter to the other side of the wire and a good ground, you should have no more then 5-6 ohms but it should read almost 0 if not 0. if it doesnt then the wire and or connectors on the wire are bad giving you a bad reading. also check the ground wire at the gauge and at the sending unit once again if any of them are above 5-6 ohms it will give you a bad reading. another thing you can check is to make sure the gauge is getting the full 12v. if all of these test good the only option left is to replace the gauge. you can also test the sending unit by connecting the multimeter to both wires and move it up and down, you should see from full to empty 30/33 to 240/255 ohms
joe

spocter72

Cadet

Joe,

Thank you very much for that, but already did it.

NYBo

Admiral

I think it's time for a new gauge. You've pretty much eliminated everything else from the equation.

spocter72

Cadet

Yes, I think so too. Can't think of anything else to check. Appreciate the input. Thank you all very much....Len